Summary of Contents
- 1 Potential Causes of the P000B Code
- 2 Customary Symptoms of the P000B Code
- 3 Tremendous Diagnosis Strategy of DTC P000B
- 4 P000B OBD-II Fault Code Fixed
Meaning of the Error Code P000B
The OBD-II fault code basically suggests the “B Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 1.” It is normally a generic powertrain code that takes place in the core of the camshaft positioning. The elaborate meaning of the “B Camshaft Position” is depicting the exhaust camshaft, and Bank 1 means the side of the engine particularly denoting cylinder number 1. Note that this code is only compatible with the VVT (Variable Valve Timing). Several car brands have to deal with this error code, just like the P000B Dodge, jeep patriot, etc.
The primary responsibility of the VVT is to upgrade engine power, fuel economy, and performance, simultaneously decreasing the emission rate at the same time. The VVT always uses pressurized engine oil whose purpose is to activate actuators that rotate the camshafts clockwise or anti-clockwise. Both the intake and the exhaust camshaft work simultaneously, and they are related to each other. The camshaft and the crankshaft are closely correlated, and they adjust the rotation between themselves with the help of the timing belt. The camshaft pulley and the timing break pulley work as the supportive guidance for rotating both the camshaft and the crankshaft.
Actually, the main controller is the PCM that controls the overall system in the camshaft, and they also operate and manage the VVT. If any disharmony is detected between the camshaft and the crankshaft, the rotational speed also breaks down and causes excessive fuel consumption. When the PCM finds that the rotation within the engine becomes sluggish, it sends the message to the MIL, and it starts to illuminate.
Potential Causes of the P000B Code
The P000B is a generic powertrain code that shows serious discrepancies if there is any problem appearing in the camshaft of the engine. There may be tons of serious causes for materializing the fault code P000B; let us have a closer look into the possible causes of the error code P000B
- The engine oil level may decline, and the fuel economy may be decreased. Using contaminated engine oil viscosity hampers the entire engine. The variable valve timing actuator may fail to incorporate.
- The Timing chain which connects the camshaft and the crankshaft together may be corroded or worn out. The Camshaft position solenoid or oil control valve could not operate smoothly. As a result, the entire process started to collapse.
- The timing chain tensioner may behave abruptly, causing severe irregularities. The timing chain tensioner operates using the spring tension and hydraulic pressure. And last but not least, one is the issue in the PCM. The PCM might have been outdated and needed to be updated.
Customary Symptoms of the P000B Code
The symptoms of the error code are almost similar to the other powertrain error codes. But some unique issues are solely correlated with the fault code P000B. Let us have a look o the symptoms of the error code P000B,
- The very first symptom is that the MIL will start to illuminate, and CEL is activated.
- Your car may encounter some unusual mechanical sound that is annoying in some cases. The fuel consumption may soar up immediately, and the fuel economy may fall down.
- The catalytic converter failure may happen, as well as it may fail to outsmart the fuel emission test. Lots of black and white smoke may incur and damage the exit of the vehicle.
- The vehicle may activate the limp mode, and the stalling may occur suddenly. You might be stopped suddenly without showing any possible indication. The gear shift will be turned into a more harsh and erratic state.
Tremendous Diagnosis Strategy of DTC P000B
You can follow several outstanding strategies to diagnose the DTC P000B, or service the vehicle from a professional mechanic; whatever method you choose to diagnose these tips will ease your diagnosing pressure in many aspects. Here I am sharing with you some excellent tricks to diagnose the DTC P000B,
You can use the latest OBD-II scanner to scan the whole system of the vehicle. To find out the trouble codes, I would suggest you insert the Autel Maxidas DS808K scanning tool into the cars and wait until the codes appear on the tool’s screen. When it was evident that you have a fault code issue with the car send the car for repair. You may encounter more than one error code as the powertrain error codes sometimes come in a group. But in solving the codes, prioritize the most harmful code and act according to it. Examine the oil fluid levels and compare those with the standard value of the manufacturer’s manual. Clean the clogging in the pathways of the oil control valve.
Then it is time to scrutinize the wiring and the electrical circuits. Wirings are primarily responsible for maintaining the connection between the Camshaft and crankshaft positioning. You need to check the camshaft adjustment valve to see if it sticks to its operational position. Then check the camshaft position actuator solenoid. If it is damaged or ripped off, the mechanic will fix it for you.
P000B OBD-II Fault Code Fixed
First of all, check the technical service bulletin(TSB) to identify the actual place and position of the error code. It would be best if you got rid of the error code P000B,
Step-1: Check the sensor circuit
Start checking the ground circuit, and you need to have a DMM to locate the actual voltage of the. After a while, simply connect the positive side of the battery and the negative side with the ground terminal. After doing that, perform the process one more time but this time, connect the negative side with the battery and the positive side to the sensor reference terminal of the harness side of the connector. By performing the process, you can fix the sensor circuit easily.
Step-2: Test the oil control solenoid and circuit
First, disconnect the solenoid connector and turn on the ignition of the vehicle. Check the ground side of the circuit and repeat the process. If the voltage is alright, you must troubleshoot the solenoid and circuit problem.
Step-3: Repair the timing chain and the VVT actuator
If everything is alright, then perform the examination of the timing chain and the VVT actuator. Fix the tooth of the timing chain and recheck the actuator if it has any visual damage.
Cost of diagnosing the P000B Fault code
The cost of diagnosing the code P000B may vary between 70$ to 150$ per hour.
There goes a detailed illustration of repairing the Error code P000B. If you follow the guide carefully, it is possible to repair the fault code by yourself without the help of a professional.