If you own a car, you need to know how to take care of this. And sometimes, you notice some code in your car dashboard, but you don’t have any clue about this, so this article is for you. Sometimes a car faces a problem while you drive it, and it has its computer system; when it faces trouble that needs to be solved, you notice some code on the car screen. This code is called the OBD trouble code. Just like that, P0036 is a trouble code. Here we discussed what this code is and how to solve this.
Summary of Contents
What is the meaning of this code, P0036?
The trouble code P0036 is a related problem with heater Oxygen sensor control. That means this trouble code you face when your car faces a problem with the connection of the Heated Oxygen Sensor. The car exhausts oxygen at a constant rate, and the air-fuel ratio of 14.7 to 1 is required. The heated oxygen required a minimum temperature for operating at 570 degrees Fahrenheit, and this temperature needs an exact voltage signal. And the faster the HO2S sensor reaches the expected temperature, the sensor starts working sooner to sends a signal to the ECM or Engine Control Module.
To achieve this heat, the element of the heater attaches to the HO2S sensor. This sensor is used to calculate data from the ECM or Engine Control Module to adjust the temperature in the expected ratio. This amount is also fixed by the manufacturer of the engine.
What is the reason for this trouble code P0036?
The Trouble code P0036 is a generic code. So, it can apply in a different vehicle with OBD and another side that is also triggered by the difference of the PCM in another vehicle. Some possible reasons for the trouble code are given below:
- bank 1 sensor 2 of the Heated Oxygen Sensor may be shorted,
- Any damage to the ground strap of the exhaust system,
- Any fault in the Heated Oxygen Sensor,
- Faulty Engine Control Module or ECM,
- High resistance of the Heated Oxygen Sensor or HO2S.
What are the symptoms of the Trouble code P0036?
The common symptoms you can see when your car faces the trouble code P0036 are:
- Check engine light starts blinking,
- Engine performance decreases,
- The efficiency of the catalytic converter decrease,
- Fuel consumption rate increases,
- The PCM turns the failsafe mood. That is why you face trouble in driving.
- Failure of emission test.
How do you diagnose this trouble code?
The diagnosis process is easy with this trouble code P0036. An OBD trouble code scanner is used to find the code, then reset the code from memory and restart the whole system. Sometimes the scanner shows you a false problem, so this step provides you with whether the code is real or fake. If the code returns, then check the ground and power of the sensor and whether its wiring is connected tightly or not because most of the time, problems occur for the loose connection of the wiring.
Note: sometimes, you can make some common mistakes when you inspect the problem. Like, don’t assume the problem is related to the HO2S system and replace the right sensor. If the sensor finds 12 volts in the ground, then the HO2S works properly, and you don’t need to repair or replace it. Check both side connectors carefully. Many times, you make a mistake in this.
How to fix the P0036 trouble code?
To fix the problem, you must follow some basic steps, like:
- At first, visually inspect if there is any damaged or loose wiring in the oxygen sensor. If you notice that, fix that.
- Set the ohmmeter after unplugging the oxygen sensor and then test the resistance of the heater circuit. If there is any excessive resistance in the heater circuit, it indicates there is an open circuit in the sensor, and it needs to be repaired.
- Then test the ground wire at the connector and check the resistance.
- After that, test the power supply of the wire connectors with the help of DVOM, and set it in DC volts with positive lead on the power supply wire. Then the negative lead, if you notice, then check the power supply of the oxygen sensor. If power is absent there, then the problem is related to PCM.
These are the common solutions to this problem. If you still face the problem, then contact a professional and get help from them.
How Serious of this trouble code P0036?
The trouble code P0036 can be noticed from the engine check light, which comes from the vehicle dash while you drive it. You can continue your driving, but sometimes you face some uncomfortable issues with your car engine for this trouble code. So, try to fix the issue as soon as possible.