Many people wait until their car develops a grievous issue before taking it for inspection or repair. This shouldn’t be the case. The moment you see that the check engine light is on, you should respond immediately by taking the car to your nearest repair shop or to a mechanic for a check-up. But it may cost you a lot!
Alternatively, you can purchase a code reader or scan tool to know what the issue is and tackle it right away. Some problems are minor and can be handled by any motorist by following the recommended guideline. All you have to do is to choose a quality, accurate, and reliable onboard diagnostic scanner. And thus, the Actron CP9670 review is here. It is a basic but accurate scan tool, and the price is very low.
Note: Don’t buy if you own a Subaru forester (2006), Nissan Frontier (2002), or Subaru WRX (2015)! Also, not ideal for professional mechanics.
Actron CP9670 Auto scanner
|Works:||1996 and newer vehicles|
|Larger screens, Color screen:||Yes|
|Check Engine Light:||Yes|
|Powertrain and ABS Vehicle coverage:||Yes|
|Battery system monitor:||Yes|
|Read & Erase DTCs:||Yes|
|Get transmission codes:||Yes|
|Views freeze frame data:||Yes|
|State OBD check (emissions):||Yes|
|Live data information:||Yes|
|Dimensions:||11 x 8 x 1.5 inches|
|Price:||Check Today’s Price|
Although, you can compare this scanner with the other two models Actron CP9680 and Actron CP9690 scanner. One of the scanners that I highly recommend is the Actron cp9670. A reliable brand creates this scan tool. Actron scan tools are known for their excellent features and quick reading of error codes and erasing them, too. The Actron cp9670 offers accurate results and is extremely reliable.
One of its outstanding features is live data which allows you to view the automobile sensor, relay, and switch inputs immediately while the monitor is functioning. You will learn more about the cp9670 scanner in this Actron CP9670 Review as you read further.
Features and Benefits of Actron CP9670 onboard diagnostic
- This scan tool has an excellent design that is built for longer use. The plastic body that the scan tool comprises is sturdy and can defy the hardships of a car repair shop. It is also compact in design and very easy to handle.
- It has a large LCD screen that is colored and enables the user of the scan tool to view data clearly. This includes both dark and very bright places. When in dark places, the backlight display feature provides much-needed illumination.
- It has the ability to present the data in live form and also assist in the playback feature if required. This makes it very simple to use.
- The scan tool comes with different languages to select from, which are English, French, and Spanish. So, you can select a language that you are more comfortable or familiar with.
- This is a universal diagnostic scanner as it can be used on any obd2-oriented car model. This is because of the professional orientation based on the True link technology assumed by Actron.
- It has better compatibility with the ability to provide the technician with better data, including the vehicle data for the recently manufactured car models.
- This is a versatile scan tool in terms of coding, which enables the onboard diagnostic tool to read as well as erase diverse data codes, including the famous antilock brake system (ABS) on different unique car brands.
- This Actron OBD2 scan tool can be updated with the feature that makes it function on most recent car models.
- It has a backup battery that enables it to function on its own without relying on car engine power. Also, the diagnostic scanner has a charging monitor that shows the user when it is full.
In-Depth Actron CP9670 OBD2 Review
- Sturdy scan tool – even though it is made of plastic material, the scanner is sturdily built and can withstand any hardships. The plastic is solid and cannot spoil on a single drop. This can serve the user for a very long period of time.
- Easy to use – amateur mechanics have highly praised this diagnostic scan tool due to its simplicity in use. The large LCD screen and colored display are very easy to interpret, even in dark or poorly lit areas. Also, using it for basic or advanced functions is very easy as you can explore on your own and use it correctly. This is not the case with other advanced scan tools on the market.
- Lightweight – if you intend to carry this scanner around the workshop or in your repair shop, this won’t be a burden at all as it is very lightweight. Its compact design and lightweight nature make it suitable for use around a busy garage.
- Speed – one of the reasons why motorists love this scanner is because it offers very quick results. This is because of the AutoID technology that it comes with. It will save you time and enable you to concentrate on how to handle the error codes that you have detected.
- Compatible with newer cars – if you are looking for a scan tool that works best on car models built from 2000 through to 2013, this scanner will be very helpful to you. It is compatible with newer cars, and this makes it modern.
- Provides precise results – one of the best things about this scanner is that it provides very accurate results. So, using this diagnostic scan tool to scan codes and provide better data reading is a great idea.
- Easy to update online – not all scan tools can be updated online. But this is very important, especially if you intend to buy a new car model or lend it out to a friend who has just bought one of the latest car models. This is done very easily and quickly.
- Affordable price – unlike many quality Autel scanners on the market, the pc9670 scanner is offered at a very competitive price. Considering its quality, one expects this scan tool to be highly-priced. You can use it for basic scanning or professional use.
- Instructions – the scan tool comes with instructions that let the user know what to do. The instruction manual shows where to insert the scan tool cable on the board of the vehicle and carry out the tests.
Disadvantages of CP9670 diagnostic scanner
- The Actron cp9670 has been exceptional in reading codes of different vehicles. But its inability to read or erase codes in some vehicles manufactured between 1996 and 2013 is worrying. This scan tool has failed to function with some of the popular car models.
- Another shortcoming is that the cp9670 has had no firmware update since 2010. A good number of vehicle manufacturers are changing the programming in their cars. Without regular firmware updates from the Actron cp9670, they will be left behind as far as technology is concerned. This is a huge blow to Actron.
- The device is very complex to use with the graphic data presentation in some scenarios requiring a greater understanding of the meaning of data code meaning. Linking the OBD2 tool is also tricky as it is not a Bluetooth-supported OBD2 unit.
- Finally, the user guide included in the Actron cp9670 diagnostic scanner bundle is unclear and a bit confusing. This should be revisited and made clear for users to understand easily.
The Actron cp9670 is a great scan tool with excellent features. It has shortcomings of its own, but the benefits outweigh them. The scan tool provides fast and accurate results. The larger display and colored readings make this device to be suitable for use in extreme light or darkness. It is also lightweight and very easy to carry as you perform different diagnostic tests on different vehicles. The tool is best suited for beginner DIY enthusiasts. So it is not an ideal scanner for professional car owners. I hope you have gotten a clear idea after reading this Actron CP9670 review. If you want a durably made scan tool for both DIYers and professional mechanics, then Actron cp9670 diagnostic scanner is great.
Possibly Actron CP9670 is Discontinued! Try Alternatives
Actron CP9680 AutoScanner Plus
|Updated Features||Software Features||Hardware Features|
|• Updated Vehicle Coverage
• Oil light & Battery reset
• GM DTC status
• Dual PID Graph
• Hands-Free Operation
• Support 5 previous vehicles searches
• Quick Test
• Code Criteria
• Battery / Alternator / Charging System Monitor
|• ABS & SRS/Airbag coverage
• Compatible with OBD-II & CAN
• State OBD check
• DTC lookup library
• Custom data list for LIVE data
• LIVE engine data, graph LIVE data
• Freeze frame data
• Drive cycle mode
• MIL status and I/M monitors
• Visual indicator
|• Color Screen
• Trilingual manual
• Optional battery power
• Field updateable via USB port
• Print data to PC
Related article: Need an affordable OBD2 device? Check our Foxwell NT301 review
Affiliate Disclosure: “Our site is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. This page may include Amazon affiliate links, on which we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.”
Kevin Nicholas is an automotive technician who is a genius at software and hardware-related issues. He manually tested more than a hundred OBD scanners and gave his honest opinion on whether the device was worth the money or not. His in-depth OBD review articles help people choose the right product, whether it is a European, American, or Asian vehicle. He completed his Automotive Specialized Training Course at Universal Technical Institute and has more than 15 years of experience in the field.
Summary of Contents