When you own a car, you must face some problems. And to determine those issues, an Onboard diagnostic or OBD 2 scanner attaches to your vehicle. This board used some code to show the problem in your car. When the steering faces difficulty using the vehicle, you can see the U0126 Code. Let’s know the meaning of this Code, the reason for this problem, how to repair this issue, etc.
Summary of Contents
What does error code u0126 mean?
When you are a car owner, you already know the power steering. This art is a hydraulic pump that provides power steering for the driver. This feature is mainly used to turn the wheel very quickly. But nowadays, many updated cars don’t come with these features, and in the place of this hydraulic pump, it has electric power steering.
This electric power steering system comes with a control module, SAS or steering angle sensor, a torque sensor, and the last one is an electric motor for steering the column-mounted. The rack and pinion assembly also have additional features with this electrical power steering. SAS is mainly designed to discover the steering wheel’s position when driving the car.
The torque sensor is used to measure the twisting part of the steering column simultaneously. From the name, I think you know about the control module. This module is used to gather information about how to control the motor. And this motor helps to turn the steering pinion and rack from left to right. It also determines how the driver turns the wheel. So when you notice the Code U0126, it’s related to the problem of transferring data between the SAS and control module. But in some car models, the SAS sensor is built-in with the vehicle control module. That’s why this SAS is also known as a control module. So this trouble code also indicates the issue with the SAS module, which fails to pass or receive the data from the CAN bus network.
What is the Symptom of the Code U0126?
There are Symptoms you can see for this trouble code U0126. Like:
- The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is on,
- Check the engine light is on,
- ABS indicator light is on,
- TRAC indicator light on,
- ESP/ESC light is on.
- Face problems when you turn the steering wheel. Sometimes it is difficult or impossible to turn the steering wheel to change your direction.
What is the reason for this Code U0126?
There is also some reason behind this trouble code U0126. And this reason leads you to the solution to this problem. Like:
- A damaged or dead battery.
- The loss of power and ground to the SAS sensor module creates communication issues with the CAN bus network.
- The CAN bus wiring and connectors are Poor or malfunctioning.
- Damaged or broken control modules,
- CAN bus circuits electrical circuits are open or short.
- SAS module circuit Damaged.
How to diagnose the problem of U0126?
There are many ways to diagnose the main reason for trouble code U0126. Like:
- First, check the additional diagnostic Code or DTC with the scanner in your car. If you find the Code U0126, your vehicle faces a communication problem with SAS. If the DTC faces some trouble indicating the communication issue, the problem remains in the CAN bus network. A professional can easily detect the problem before you diagnose it.
- If your problem is not solved, check the control module’s performance. Here it would help if you had a diagnostic tool to find the problem from the SAS module. When you connect the scanner correctly with your car, it acts like another module in your vehicle. Then the professional tries to find the problem from the SAS module from this tool.
- After doing this step, if your scanner still shows the Code U0126, it’s possible that the problem is not located with the SAS sensor or module. After that, the professional tries to visualize the inception to find the problem. This step is mainly used to determine the loose or damaged connection of the wire in the SAS module. If you find the damaged link, replace or repair the problem. After the step, clear the Code from the scanner and rerun the Code. If the Code again pops up on the screen, the problem is still in the car.
- The last option is to check the battery performance. Sometimes bead batteries are also the reason behind this problem. So check whether the battery is properly working or not. If you find a problem with the battery, replace this and remove the memory from the scanner. This problem is also related to the battery, so sometimes it’s the reason behind it.
How to Fix Trouble Code U0126?
If you want To repair this Code, there are some easy steps to follow. Like:
- First, check all fuses are working correctly. Then check the ground of the SAS module. You need to locate the ground anchorage and make sure all connections are working correctly. Suppose you see any problem with the connection and wire, like a burning spot. Then remove this with the help of a wire bristle brush and baking soda or water solution. Clean the connectors and place this where they belong.
- After the repair is done, clear the DTC from the scanner memory and rerun the Code. If you find the Code U0126, you need to examine all modules of SAS. If you don’t see the Code in the scanner, the problem is solved, and this issue is related to a fuse or connection issue.
- Then check the all CAN C bus connection in your car. Mainly where the SAS connector is located. But at first, you need to disconnect the negative battery cable and disconnect the LAS control module. When you detect the problem with visual inception, look after if there are any scratches, exposed wires, burn marks, or any melting plastic in the connecting wire or connectors. Sometimes you also find a green tint that indicates the corrosion of the module. Then clean the terminal just like before and allow it to dry.
- If the problem is still there, perform some voltage check before plunging the connector of the SAS module. Now, you need a digital volt ohmmeter or DVOM. Then locate the power and ground of the SAS module and determine the voltage of these two locations. Connect the red part with battery voltage and the black part with the ground of the volt ohmmeter. And vice versa in the red wire with the battery negative part to determine the voltage again. If you find the exact voltage, the battery part is good. If you don’t get the voltage, this troubleshooting is related to the power or ground circuit.
- If the problem is not solved, you need to check the two communication circuits. Now find the CAN C+ and CAN C- circuits and connect this bus with a voltmeter. The connection is suitable for getting 2.6 volts with slight fluctuation for the CAN C+. Again when you get 2.4 volts with minimum fluctuation in the CAN C- bus, the CAN bus network is perfect. But if you don’t find the same result, the problem is related to the CAN bus network.
- If you do all the steps but still fail to solve the problem and cannot clear Code U0126, you need to get help from a technician. I think they can quickly help you out.
How serious of this U0126 Code?
At first, I told you about the problem related to the power steering wheel. But now, many cars are updated, and they don’t use hydraulic pumps. An electric steering wheel is mainly used to control your vehicle from the direction. So this Code affected the steering wheel and related to ABS and battery performance. The battery also impacts EPS operation; this act battery needs a high current to operate with an EPS unit. And this Code also creates problems with starting and driving the car.
So for my suggestion, driving a car with this trouble code it’s not safe. This problem is related to the steering wheel, which is why it affects its working process. Sometimes it’s tough to control the car’s direction with the steering wheel for this trouble code U0126. In addition, when the problem is associated with the battery, it’s tough to start the car. And this problem makes it hard to maintain driving time. So when you notice the problem, try to solve it as fast as possible. Otherwise, you will end up in an accident.