What Does the P0022 Code Mean?
The DTC P0022 is a generic powertrain code that denotes the ECM has detected something unusual in the particular segment named the “Camshaft Position A Timing Over-Retarded Bank 2.” The elaborate meaning of the code is that the camshaft may have showcased an unusual over retarded movement that collides with the actual value of the ECM, and all of these are happening in the bank 2 intake camshaft.
Where are the camshaft magnets Located?
The camshaft magnets facilitate the fuel to enter a massive quantity into the system. It ensures the correct lubrication when it needs to face a heavy load. You need to know the perfect place and position of this camshaft magnet; if you need to fix this by yourself. This camshaft magnet is actually located at the rear of your timing gear, or in some cases, they are located at the front of the engine. Finding a camshaft magnet is not as difficult as a visual inspection may do the work.
What are the Possible Causes of the P0022 Code?
There are a bunch of causes that the DTC P0022 may appear in the scanning tool. Here I will illustrate those major causes,
- An incorrect camshaft timing is the primary cause of the error code P0022. It may also affect the rotation of the crankshaft as a timing belt interconnects them.
- The wirings and connectors may face a tear, discontinuation, or wear out. The camshaft and the crankshaft sensors might be facing an unwanted no-response issue that hampers the whole system of the engine.
- The Oil control valve may have some clogging issues noted as incorrect viscosity, and thick fuel may cause unnecessary sludge at the valve entrance. The oil filter may have gathered too much dirt that closes the opening of the filter.
- The timing components might have some internal issues. The timing chain must be bent, shattered, or dislocated. The timing belt must have some missing teeth that affect the whole system of the main engine.
- The powertrain control module or the PCM may have encountered some BAD response issues that thwart the overall carrying of the rotational movement information.
- The OBD-II scanning tool may be outdated and needs a proper up-gradation. You can replace the device with a more powerful and accurate one.
What are the Common Symptoms of the P0022 Code?
The symptoms are the main reasons for understanding the error codes’ initiation. We have tested so many vehicles and found the actual symptoms of the fault code P0022; here I am elaborating on those symptoms with necessary proof,
- The first thing that the car shows is poor engine performance. The car may produce poor idling, hard starting, or activate the limp mode or stalling.
- A grim and annoying rattling sound may come out of the main engine as the engine suffers an internal injury. Usually, the vehicle does not produce this ghostly rattling noise. When the other internal components fragment it or it gets corroded, this kind of sound appears.
- The car may have decreased fuel mileage, and the fuel economy also reduces. It has spent more fuel than ever to cover the same distance.
- A low fuel level in the engine or contaminated oil may exert the error code P0022. Contaminated fuel forms sludges and clogs in the oil control valve and the filters.
- Last, the PCM may not read the fault information given by the camshaft; it can actually collapse the car’s entire system.
How to Diagnose the P0022 Code
Diagnosis of the fault code P0022 is not an easy job as the mechanics have to perform some tiresome diagnoses and checkings to find out where actually the fault occurs,
The first thumb rule is to examine the entire car parts and check which part has gone out of order. Then he might check the oil control solenoid valve to find out if the solenoid is getting ample power. The wirings and the connectors are to be reviewed as they are dispersed in the main section of the engine. Check the rotation and movement of both the camshaft and the crankshaft, as a simple distortion in their movement may affect the entire system worst. Then the mechanic will diagnose the fuel viscosity and the level of the oil in the engine.
If the fuel has a density issue, he replaces it with compatible fuel suggested in the manufacturer-specific manual. The essential diagnosis is then the diagnosis of the timing components. The mechanic checks for any internal issues in the timing component regarding the belts, timing chains, and gears. And the last thing the professional may diagnose is the PCM if it is operating in a decent manner.
How to Fix the P0022 Trouble Code
The fixing of the error code is an extensive issue. Here I will illustrate the process with necessary segmentation that will be easy for the readers to understand,
Fix the OBD-II scanner
If there is a fault in the OBD-II scanner, it will show false error codes on the device’s screen. A false code may misguide you in detecting the real fault in the engine. So fixing the scanning devices is the first and foremost step in repairing the error code P0022.
Replace the engine oil
The main causes of the error code P0022 are using contaminated engine oil or using the wrong viscosity oil. It can create sludge in the filter and in the valves. As a result, the flow of fuel into the engine is impeded. To replace the engine oil and check if the code returns back.
Fix the camshaft valve solenoid
The main work here is to check the resistance of the camshaft valve solenoid. Use a multimeter to check for the resistance and compare the examined value and the value enlisted in the manufacturer-specific manual. Then take a pin test from the valve solenoid to PCM. The pin test defines the continuity of the wiring harness and the connectors to the actual valve solenoid. Fix the VVT in case there are any irregularities.
Repair the electrical wirings and circuits
The internal electrical wirings are very much confusing as they have a complex set of wires and connectors. It is hard to locate the fault in this section. A normal person and professionals can figure out the real problems and work according to them.
Check the camshaft sensors and repair them.
Sensors are the most incredible parts in the camshaft of the engine. The camshaft and the crankshaft both have a set of sensors that work according to their rotational movement. They convey the data and information regarding the rotation to the Power control module.
Fix the timing components
They consist of gears, timing chains, timing belts, and idlers. So many parts increase the chance of faults. The timing chain may be tormented or worn out. Or there may be some missing teeth on the timing belt. The mechanic checks and repairs all those faults and checks if the error code returns.
The repair cost of the error code P0022 is dependent on some factors. But in most cases, if you are lucky, you only have an engine oil issue which will cost you only between 30$ and to 50$ to replace the engine oil. If that is not the only issue and the timing valve control (VCT) solenoid is also affected, then the cost will increase, and it will fluctuate between 200$ to 500$ to replace it.
Some codes are compatible with the DTC P0022, and they are enlisted below,
P0010, P0012, P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0335, P0336, P0338, etc
All these codes are closely correlated to the error code P0022 as most of their causes and symptoms coincide, and the repairing process is almost the same in each code. But the most common causes of these codes are bad and contaminated fuel or the lack of engine lubrication.
Kevin Nicholas is an automotive technician who is a genius at software and hardware-related issues. He manually tested more than a hundred OBD scanners and gave his honest opinion on whether the device was worth the money or not. His in-depth OBD review articles help people choose the right product, whether it is a European, American, or Asian vehicle. He completed his Automotive Specialized Training Course at Universal Technical Institute and has more than 15 years of experience in the field.
Summary of Contents