What does the P0018 code mean?
The DTC P0018 is a special kind of generic powertrain code that stands for the “Sensor A Crankshaft Position Correlation Bank 2.” Bank 2 simply indicates the cylinder number 2 at the side of the engine, and Sensor A suggests the intake camshaft sensor. Actually, the CKP and CMP are responsible for adequately monitoring the camshaft and crankshaft, respectively. The movement or rotation of both the camshaft and crankshaft are closely related to each other. A fault movement between them may force the PCM to send a notification to the CELL or MIL.
Note: P0017 Code Defines– Sensor A Crankshaft Position Correlation Bank 1
What are the Reasons for the P0018 code?
There are several reasons that the error code P0018 may appear on the screen of the scanning tool. Some of the reasons are highlighted below,
- The timing belt has been stretched, or there may be a missing tooth in the timing belt. A misalignment may happen in the timing belt.
- The sensors of the camshaft and the crankshaft may Have been misbehaving and do not provide the information according to the requirement.
- The timing belt or chain tensioner may be devastated. The sound ring of both the camshaft and crankshaft may have been bizarre. There might be a missing crankshaft counterweight bolt that causes an impediment in the circulation of the crankshaft.
- The CMP actuator solenoid valve may have stuck wide open. The engine oil level is too low. As a result, it obstructs the smooth progress of the engine. The Crankshaft reluctor wheel may have been corroded or gotten out of order.
What are the Possible Symptoms of the P0018 code?
Some of the natural symptoms of the DTC P0018 can affect the entire vehicle’s system. The symptoms of DTC are described below,
- The MIL or the CEL gets illuminated as it senses something fishy in the crankshaft and camshaft compartment.
- The engine may face stalling while driving. Accelerating the car may face unwanted roughness. The engine may meet rattling due to the insufficient supply of fuel in the engine. The harmonic balancer may have lost its actual balance following up on the damage to the tone ring.
- The reduction in fuel mileage is a common cause of the error code P0018. It means that your car may use more fuel than ever while driving the same distance.
- The distribution chain may be out of order. Difficulties may arise in the VVT section of the engine. The oil control Valve may have suffered a genuine fault.
How to diagnose the DTC P0018?
The first stage is connecting the OBD-II scanner with the car and registering the fault codes. Diagnose the engine’s oil level And viscosity. Examine if there is any fault in the wiring and the circuits. Then check the oil control valve and the filters. The filters may have been replaced if there is excessive dirt in the spores. Check the PCM to see if it is working correctly, and last but not least, check the timing components. Here is the all-over diagnosis process of the P0018, and if you follow the diagnosis process effectively, it might be eradicated easily.
Common mistakes during diagnosis this error code
Mistakes often occur while diagnosing the error code P0018, and even a professional can make mistakes. Some common errors in diagnosing the DTC P0018 are described below,
- Sometimes the mechanic forgets to change the contaminated engine fuel. Nonetheless, he may not reload the engine’s fuel level. This is one kind of fundamental mistake in diagnosing the error code P0018.
- The timing components, including gear, chain, belt, and bolts, might be unchecked. This mistake leads to severe injuries in the internal camshaft and crankshaft segments.
- The wirings and the circuits might have some disconnection looseness that impeded the overall circulation of the information inside the engine.
- The PCM may not have been checked, which is considered a significant mistake in diagnosing the error code P0018.
How serious is the P0018 code?
The DTC P0018 can cause irreparable harm to the engine, and it may have gone out of order for a more extended period. The timing components combinedly work as a significant force that guides the connection between the Crankshaft and Camshaft segments. If the timing components are hampered, then the entire engine will collapse. An irregularity in the engine piston rings and valves can also affect the main engine badly. Haphazard disposition of the electrical wirings and the connectors may lead to an unnatural hazard to the engine.
What are the possible fixes for the DTC P0018?
The occurrence of the error code is an excellent alert for the car owner as it can cause harmful injuries and internal damage to the engine of the car. The possible solution to the error code is elaborated below,
Cross-check the sensors and electrical wiring
The electrical wirings in the camshaft and the crankshaft are well organized, and they work harmoniously to support the car’s engine. If any mismanagement is recorded in the sensors, you need to repair that as soon as possible. Neglecting the code and continuing driving can be disastrous for the vehicle’s main engine. It is recommended that we go for the visual checking of the sensors to see if there is any sort of disconnection among them. As well, as the circuits need to be examined carefully, a minor fault in the circuit may disrupt the vehicle’s overall system.
Check the permanent magnet sensor
The permanent magnet sensor is one of the most significant parts of the camshaft. It produces its voltage, so the main checking here is introducing an ohmmeter and the voltage and resistance of the magnetic sensor. It is alright and good to go if it produces the correct value.
Repair the Hall effect sensor
This particular sensor type has three wires, the signal, reference, and ground wire. All these wires combined operate the hall effect sensor. In this case, you need to check all three voltages and compare them to the manufacturer’s manual to see if it satisfies it.
Fix the VVT system of the vehicle
The VVT mainly operates in internal combustion engines. VVT is actually the process of countering the actual time management of the valve lift event. It plays a pivotal role in smooth fuel emission, maintaining fuel economy, and improving performance. Check and replace this part if found unnecessary sludges.
Upgrade the PCM
The PCM is the prime component for maintaining connection among the engine components. If the PCM suffers unwanted mismanagement, then it will fail to maintain communication among the parts. As a result, the whole powertrain system will be destroyed. Upgrade the PCM with new software to increase its efficiency.
Repairing Cost: The repairing cost of the error code P0018 may vary between 70$ to 150$.
The DTC code is very hard to eradicate by yourself, though if you want to do it yourself, make sure that you follow this article from top to bottom. It may generate overall knowledge about the error code P0018. I hope following this article will give you sheer benefit.
Kevin Nicholas is an automotive technician who is a genius at software and hardware-related issues. He manually tested more than a hundred OBD scanners and gave his honest opinion on whether the device was worth the money or not. His in-depth OBD review articles help people choose the right product, whether it is a European, American, or Asian vehicle. He completed his Automotive Specialized Training Course at Universal Technical Institute and has more than 15 years of experience in the field.
Summary of Contents