The trouble code U0410 you notice from the OBD2 scanner. This scanner is mainly used to find this type of problem. If you own a car, you must learn about this code to avoid some issues while driving.
Meaning of the Code U0401:
The generic communication code U0401 is problematic when the vehicle’s control modules are not connecting correctly. The engine control module, or ECM, and powertrain control module, or PCM, are part of the Controller area network. This bus system provides data about your vehicle’s operating property in real-time. And it also gives instructions for changes in its functioning.
The powertrain control module or PCM serves as a data handling center with monitors to exchange information between the modules. This PCM ensures the function is working correctly or not if you find a communication problem between the two or more modules for an extended period, the fault code U0401.
Related Trouble Code: U0100
What are the symptoms of the trouble code U0401?
There are many symptoms of this trouble code U0401. Like:
- Check the engine light, whether it’s illuminated or not.
- Randomly power loss,
- Imitate misfires sound,
- Accidently enter a fail-safe or limp code in the event of catastrophic failure.
- ABS or other safety systems like Traction control or stability control might be unavailable or deactivated depending on the manufacturer.
What is the reason behind the trouble code U0401?
There is a typical case for happening the trouble code U0401. Like:
- The system voltage is abnormal,
- There is a fault in the Engine Control Module or ECM/ Powertrain Control Module or PCM.
- The poor or damaged electrical connection of the ECM/PCM.
- The harness of the ECM/PCM is open or shorted.
- Multiple faulty sensors are going once or in conjunction with damaged modules.
How to diagnose the trouble code U0401?
You need to follow some steps to diagnose the trouble code U0401. Like:
- At first, scan for trouble code in the ECM, then find the freeze frame data for failure.
- Visually search for the wiring harness is damaged or not.
- Check the system voltage and compare it with the standard value.
- Check the ECM/PCM to get the power and ground.
- Verify the communication circuit between the modules,
- Test every component of the CAN bus system,
- Reset the code from memory and then go for a ride as a test drive,
- If the code again pops up on the car screen, it needs further diagnosis with the technician’s help.
The mistake you made to diagnose the trouble code U0401:
Many times you make mistakes to find the problem. This misdiagnosis also leads to more difficulty. That is why you need to keep some steps in your mind to find the issue without making any mistakes. Like:
- Forget to inspect all the wiring and connectors,
- forget to check the system voltage,
- Not verifying the ECM/PCM is getting power or ground properly,
- Forget to test all components of the CAN bus system,
- Without ascertaining the proper function, reinstall all the modules and sensors,
- Assume an issue with a specific module or sensor without fixing the troubling reason.
How to fix the trouble code U0401?
We talk about all details of the trouble code. Now we are discussing how to get rid of this problem quickly. Like:
- First, if you find faulty parts or any damage to the wiring and connectors in the control module, repair or replace this.
- Then check all the system voltage, whether it’s correctly working. If you find a problem, correct this.
- If the ECM/PCM is not getting power and ground properly, then clean or if it needs to replace that control module.
- Then recheck the total code related to the control module. If you find any fault, try to solve this.
- If you face the problem again, you can go through the technical service bulletins or TSBs. This manual contains every detail about your car alongside the problem and solution. I think this will help you speed up the repair process and save some money.
- But if the problem still pops up on your car screen, you need to consult with a professional. I think they can help you out with this problem.
How mandatory to fix this problem?
The trouble code U0401 is a severe issue for your car. So when you notice the problem, try to fix this as soon as possible because this problem may be a loss of power or impact engine performance. Also, create a safety issue depending on how severe the trouble is.
In the end, the trouble code U0401 is related to the communication problem between the control module and the Controller Area Network bus system. And this problem is related to power loss, and sometimes it also impacts engine performance. If the car faces a significant communication problem, it also creates a safety issue for the driver or passenger. When you notice an issue in your vehicle, try to fix the problem as soon as possible. The abnormal voltage system is the main reason for this problem. Sometimes it also happens from faulty control modules, bad electric connection, or an open or shorted wiring harness system of the CAN bus system.
So when you fix the code, please remove it from memory and again check the code to ensure the problem solve or not. If you can set the issue, you need a test drive to examine the performance of your engine. And I think from that you can quickly get rid of this trouble.
Kevin Nicholas is an automotive technician who is a genius at software and hardware-related issues. He manually tested more than a hundred OBD scanners and gave his honest opinion on whether the device was worth the money or not. His in-depth OBD review articles help people choose the right product, whether it is a European, American, or Asian vehicle. He completed his Automotive Specialized Training Course at Universal Technical Institute and has more than 15 years of experience in the field.
Summary of Contents