Now you can’t take a day without using any vehicle. That’s why many people own a car. Just like that, you also have a car in your garage. The safety issue is the first concern for all car owners. An onboard diagnostic or OBD2 scanner came with every car to keep this in mind. This scanner shows you some code that has its meaning. As a car owner, I think you must know about the code and solve the problem as soon as possible. Just like that, the U0422 is a trouble code. The U series of the issues related to user communication malfunction. And yes, this code shows that your car’s body control module can get invalid data while you are driving. And this is a severe issue. Let’s talk about the details and how to solve this article’s problem.
Summary of Contents
What is the meaning of the U0422 trouble code?
The trouble code U0422 is a communication problem of the control module. This diagnostic trouble code happens when one control module can not communicate with another vehicle’s control module. So there is a problem associated with the Controller Area Network or CAN bus information loss problem with the Body Control Module or BCM. To secure the total operation of a car’s onboard electronics, which handle and control many electrical attachments connected to your car body. It manages the central locking system, electrical window, immobilizer system, etc.
What are the Symptoms?
Some common symptoms of this trouble code are given below:
- Illuminated engine light.
- Facing problems while starting the vehicle,
- BCM-managed features are not working correctly; windows, lock, etc., are also added to this list.
What is the reason behind the trouble code U0422?
There are also some causes you may know behind the trouble code U0422. Those are:
- Fault in Body Control Module or BCM,
- Open or shorted harness in BCM,
- The damaged or poorly electrical connection of BCM.
How to identify the trouble code U0422?
There are some steps any technician takes to solve the issue. like:
- Searching for the freeing from data failure, scan the codes in the ECM.
- There is any poorly or damaged connected wire or connectors in the system, visually inspect this,
- Check the electrical circuits for continuity and also resistance,
- Test the ground circuit,
- If needed, change the BCM.
Some mistakes happen when diagnosis the Trouble code U0422:
A car owner and a technician can often forget some steps to follow. That leads them to misdiagnose the trouble code. Like:
- Forget to check all the wiring and connectors,
- Not examine the ground circuit,
- Replace the BCm without any reason or fault.
How to solve the trouble code U0422?
If you follow, there are some easy steps, and you can fix the issue of U0422. The steps are:
- Find the faulty parts like damaged or poorly connected wiring or connectors. Repair the problem and, if needed, replace the defective portion from them.
- Then check all the ground, it’s working correctly or not.
- If the problem still happens, check if there is any communication error between the control modules.
- But if you again face the problem, the issue is related to BCM. Then replace the faulty BCM from the control module.
- If you still face the problem, you need help from technical system bulletins or TSBs. This manual book contains all details of your car, including where the problem is located and how to solve this. Technicians are also getting help from this manual. This also saves your time, and if you solve this by yourself, it also saves you some money.
In the end, the problem is related to the body control module. That’s why this is not a significant issue. You face some symptoms like illuminated engine light or facing issues while starting the car etc., and you face some uncomfortable situations while driving with this problem if it needs to change the body’s control module to solve this issue. A professional needs about one hour to fix this issue: and the budget is also not so high, like 75$ to 100$.