What Is Check Engine Code P0013?
The trouble code P0013 is produced from a generic powertrain code that denotes the “B Camshaft Position Open or Short in Oil Control Valve (Bank 1)” If we simplify the code, it will go like the shortage in the oil control valve bank number one. The primary components are verified by the overall camshaft actuators and the VVT solenoids. Actually, the PCM (power control Module) governs all the valid processes that outperform the camshaft’s internal methods. The MIL addresses the issues regarding the camshaft position shortage in the OCV bank number one, and according to this, it started to illuminate, and the check engine light is being activated.
What Can Cause P0013 Error Code?
The prime discrepancy related to the DTC P0013 is a deep internal problem in the exhaust camshaft position actuator. There may be other vital causes that trigger the DTC P0013, and Those causes are being illustrated below,
- The ECM might have ordered the oil control valve to decline the overall performance, though it indicates the same output as before. This causes mismanagement in the rotating camshaft section, and the overall process is being thwarted.
- Due to extreme engine oil sludge, the pathways of the fuel control valve may be blocked and cause higher clogging efficiency. The main way to eradicate this clogging you need to use fresh fuel free from debris and contain the right viscosity that the manufacturer manual suggests.
- If the timing components combinedly start to deteriorate, then the whole camshaft rotating process could be hampered badly. The timing components like the gear, timing chain, screw, and bolts could be worn out or may have some identical missing parts. This simple fallout of the timing components might create unnecessary issues regarding the engine.
- The sensors are the most significant components in the camshaft. They mainly connect and circulate all the information within the camshaft section. If the sensors face some ingenious problems, it might badly affect the overall communication between the wiring and the circuits.
- The electrical wiring and the connectors mainly boost up the sensors to work correctly; You need to check the fuse also; if the fuse is in good condition, there may have been some faults that occurred in the wiring section.
- The PCM could be damaged, or the software of the PCM may be out of date; that’s why it is showcasing error data and codes. Try an up-gradation of the PCM and again check the error code, the next time, it may have vanished after the up-gradation of the PCM.
What are the basic symptoms of the P0013 code?
If the check engine light lightens up on the dashboard, you may have an issue with the fault code P0013. It is not necessary that you may have encountered only the fault code P0013; there may be several codes working behind other powertrain codes. In this section, I will try to depict some o the prime symptoms of the error code P0013,
Engine performance down
The overall engine performance may have decreased due to the arrival of the fault code P0013. Your car’s engine may feel the fatigue of managing the engine rotation at its maximum level. The simple explanation of this incident is that the engine performance may have been degraded. The engine may have worked with greater efficiency before the appearance of the error code, but now it needs more fuel to perform the rotational process. This leads to the unnecessary loss of fuel due to the system loss.
Higher fuel consumption and fumes
The camshaft actuators are the working agent behind the generation and optimization of the fuel capacity. The fuel economy may have fallen down due to unwanted higher fuel consumption. Taking a long time to fix the fuel consumption may increase the overall complexity of the vehicle’s performance. The car may run rough while taking the speed to the maximum level. The engine may face a stalling while driving the car. The rattling noise may be coming out of the engine as it may face the fuel clogging, or the frictional force may intensify into the internal section of the engine. The vehicle could emit black and white fumes, which is dangerous for the health of the car. IF it happens, try to clean the pathways of the exit pipe of the vehicle.
How to diagnose the Error P0013 code?
Almost all of the vehicle’s error codes are tiresome to eradicate and diagnose; the mass’s diagnosis process would be hard to understand. To avoid that complexity, here I will describe the overall diagnosis process of the fault code P0013,
The first step is to attach the OBD-II scanning tool to the car’s interface and find out the actual fault code that has been punishing the vehicle’s overall system. Keep in mind that you may encounter more than one fault code but prioritize the most harmful ones. The next step is to separate the engine compartment to access the solenoid actuator. Diagnose the oil control valve for the short circuit of the camshaft. The next thing that you are going to check is the viscosity and the engine oil level. If improper viscosity oil is hampering the system of the car, then choose to replace the engine oil as soon as possible. Sometimes contaminated oil creates severe clogging in the main compartment of the engine. You need to clear the pathways for the emission of the fuel.
The sensor reacted to the camshaft, and the crankshaft sometimes failed to maintain the connection within the camshaft portion. Diagnosis of the sensors and detect the particular fault. One of the major faults is the collapse of the PCM; the PCM is mainly responsible for maintaining all the communication between the engine and the surrounding parts. That’s all for the diagnosis of the entire system to the car.
Tools needed to Diagnose P0013: An advanced OBD-II scanning tool, An upgraded digital voltmeter, a manufactured service manual, Basic hand tools to reach the actuator solenoid, and timing components.
Common mistakes happened while diagnosing the P0013 code?
Even an experienced mechanic may make some silly mistakes during the repair of the fault code P0013. However, some common mistakes might take place, and it is not that much scarce. Just have a look at these points to avoid the minor mistakes while diagnosing the fault code P0013,
- The prime mistake in diagnosing the vehicle is the absence of a car thoroughly and visual check-ups to know the vehicle’s actual faults. MosThechanic does not check the real issues and replace the respective faulty parts. Most of the time, these soars up the unbidden costs that may have never happened.
- Sometimes mechanics skip the most basic diagnosis in the car, which Is the check engine oil; they sometimes do not examine if the car is full or if the correct viscosity fuel is being used In the vehicle. There may be a leakage in the oil control valve of the car. They unintentionally skip all these checkings and suggest just the replacement of the faulty parts.
- One of the basic methods of diagnosing a vehicle is to perform manufacturer pinpoint tests; basically, it is the vehicle’s manual that should be followed to avoid the misdiagnosis of the error code.
- It is unnecessarily replacing the sensors and the electrical wirings that are not even needed. This increases the burden on the car owners. Sometimes the mechanic failed to understand the meaning of the related fault code and repaired the wrong parts that didn’t even have any issues.
Is this code severe?
Some consider the fault code P0013 a mild and less intense generic powertrain error code, but it is not the real case. If the problem has been overlooked for some time, it can create and expand dangerous harm to the main engine of the car. As this code is directly allied with the camshaft and the sensors within this, it can stall the car anytime or may behave while accelerating. It is more than like throttling the engine of the car. This code can be excruciating if it causes a disconnection between the wiring and the connectors. So it is recommended that you must fix the existing code as soon as you encounter it.
How to Fix DTC Engine Code P0013?
The fault code P0013 is not just a simple code as it can excavate a deep well of complexities for you. Fixing the code P0013 is a gigantic chore for the mechanic; it needs an extensive unit of diagnosis and fixing to reinstate to its initial condition,
Change the Oil control Filter
One of the prime causes for the happening of the fault code P0013 is excessive sludge in the engine oil. The wrong viscosity of oil may affect the overall circulation of the fuel inside the engine. If it is accumulated excessively, then flash the whole compartment for the greatest result. Do not forget to clear the oil control filter, as any fault in the filter facilitates the return of the sludge.
Repair worn time components
Several parts of the timing components maintain a proper connection between the camshaft and crankshaft, and if there are some faults that occur in the timing components, it could be disastrous for the engine of the car. So check for every timing component, including the timing belt, timing gear, and other connectors.
Repair the Camshaft Position Sensor
Sensors are the most significant parts of the camshaft compartment as they maintain the connection between all the wirings and connectors; check if they are getting sufficient power; you should also check all the necessary wirings and connectors. This overall repairing of the engine will eradicate the fault codes.,
Take a test drive and delete the code
After encountering all the parts you should take a test drive of the car and try to eliminate the error code. Connect the OBD-II scanning tool again with the car and check if any fault code still exists. If the MIL or CEL stops illuminating, congratulations, you have to get rid of the error code. In the meantime, your dashboard may be cleared from blinking the engine sign.
Solving the error code P0013 is a huge success for you as this code streamlined all other possible dangerous fault codes. IF you do not give proper attention to removing the code, it may cause severe difficulties, including damaging the entire engine compartment or may produce stalling while driving. Following the above guideline described in this article can give you relief from this headache, so try this out without any hesitation and see the result.
Kevin Nicholas is an automotive technician who is a genius at software and hardware-related issues. He manually tested more than a hundred OBD scanners and gave his honest opinion on whether the device was worth the money or not. His in-depth OBD review articles help people choose the right product, whether it is a European, American, or Asian vehicle. He completed his Automotive Specialized Training Course at Universal Technical Institute and has more than 15 years of experience in the field.
Summary of Contents