What Does Code P0014 Mean?
If you are a car owner, then it’s apparent that you have faced the severe error codes of the vehicle. Today, I will discuss one of the most common error codes that have disturbed the owner’s peace is the DTC P0014.
The DTC P0014 denotes that “B Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1).” If we simplify the code, it will notify as the bank one exhaust camshaft is actually more advanced than the actual value given by the PCM. This problem is solely related to the abnormal rotational movement of the camshaft.
Famous car brands facing the error Code: P0014 Chevy, P0014 Trailblazer, P0014 GMC Envoy, Hyundai P0014, P0014 Chevy Malibu, etc.
Possible Causes of the DTC P0014
There are tons of causes behind the occurrence of the error code P0014. Here I am describing some of the possible reasons,
- The most significant cause behind the occurrence of the error code P0014 is the sludge in the engine oil. Sometimes using incorrect viscosity oil or fuel may cause circulation error in the camshaft and the actuator. The engine oil level may decrease due to some unknown causes.
- The failure of the Camshaft variable timing solenoid causes total collapses in the engine. The solenoid is responsible for managing the oil flow depending on the engine speed, load, and efficiency. The seizing, leakage, or wear in the solenoid hampers the overall precision of the engine.
- A continuous oil flow to the Variable Camshaft Timing chamber will impede the whole rotation process in the camshaft section. A dislocated Camshaft phaser can cause annoyance to the operating system of the camshaft. It is actually a fully automated sprocket attached to the camshaft that governs the camshaft’s positioning. The crankshaft and the pistons are attached to the phaser while showcasing a rotational movement.
- The valve control solenoid system’s wiring must produce a fault; in that case, check all the wirings and the electrical connections.
- There might be some real fault in the PCM. Any up-gradation in the PCM software may do the work for you.
Symptoms of Trouble Code P0014
Are you In a stance on how to figure out the fault code P0014? No need to worry because I am bringing some of the wealthiest symptoms of the code P0014. Identifying the error code in an initial stage may decrease the damage to the vehicle; let us have a close look into the possible symptoms of the error code P0014.
Complexity in Starting
The most common symptom of the error code P0014 is the complexity of switching on the vehicle. Due to the intricacy in the camshaft compartment, the car shows the signs of a deterred starting. The vehicle might also start, and after a while, it may die due to the unsupportive camshaft movement.
Activated the Limp mode or stalling
The car turns on the limp mode when it realizes something fishy in the engine. Limp mode is incorporated by default to save the vehicle from unwanted engine failure. When you accelerate, the car may behave roughly and hinder the vehicle’s movement, as it has activated the stalling mode also.
Fuel Economy decreased
Fuel is the essential element that runs the car; if there is an issue with the oil, then the whole procedure in the engine may fall down. The gradual reduction in the fuel mileage is one of the significant symptoms of the error code P0014. Many facts agitate the collapse in the fueling section, like unwanted sludge in the fuel or the viscosity is just not right for the car. An incompatible oil valve control system may generate huge complexities, and as a result, the gas emission introduces a significant hazard. It may emit unhealthy black and white fumes that create injury in the fuel exit pipe.
Rattling noise and vibration
An improper rotation in the camshaft may produce unnatural rattling noise from the engine. When you try to start the engine, you may face a severe rattling noise that may occur from the corrosion, friction, or abrasion in the camshaft segment. Due to the internal injury in the camshaft, the car lost its natural smooth start and showcased vibration, shaking, or rigidness.
How to Diagnose error code P0014?
Have you ever faced the error code P0014? If the answer is no, you will meet some of the weirdest situations in your life. Diagnosing the trouble code P0014 is a pretty expensive game, and some of the parts of your car can be significantly affected due to this code. If the diagnosis process is unknown to you, then take a closer look into the next segment,
- Initially, you need to connect a smart OBD-II scanner with the main juncture of the vehicle in order to identify progressive error codes. Note that there may be many error codes that simultaneously occurred together that may badly damage the main engine. So try to eliminate the error codes one by one.
- Diagnose the engine oil level and see if ample fuel is present in the tank. If the fuel tank runs out of a fuel shortage, fill the tank and recheck the scanning tool again.
- The next thing you should concentrate on is the VVT or VCT valve solenoid. Check the solenoid if the power supply is going on. The next thing is to examine the camshaft timing components. Check for the gears, timing belt teeth, connectors, and electrical wirings. After diagnosing the timing components, you must check on the PCM.
- Sometimes the PCM Is out of order due to the backdated memories and software. PCM is the main part that actually commands the camshaft on rotating. If the PCM misbehaves, try to upgrade it.
How to Fix Trouble Code P0014?
Fixing the trouble code is a tiresome job. How should you start? Let us see how to fix the error code P0014.
First, you have to check the electrical wiring connections inside the camshaft module. Then check the camshaft and crankshaft sensors to see if they are working correctly. Examine the oil control valve, and search for the leakage, rust, and corrosion. If you find the fault connection, repair them as soon as possible. Refill the engine oil if it gets lower, and make sure you input the right viscosity fuel. Perform a repair in the timing belt segment. Repair the teeth of the belt and fix the gear. The timing phaser must be seized; fix it immediately. At last, check for the PCM; after all the repairing, capture the freeze frame data. Then delete the codes and take a test drive of the car. After all, those repairing the car must be freed from the acute error codes.
How serious is the P0014 code?
Some mechanics may consider the error code P0014 as less defective, but the real scenario is different. This error code can cause a dire situation for the vehicle’s main engine. The main engine may run erratically, and it may face a stalemate. The consumption of the fuel may increase grievously, causing a greater fuel bill to your account. The further the error goes, the chances of entirely collapsing the main engine.
Common P0014 Diagnosis mistakes
The diagnosis of the error P0014 code is a lengthy process; while performing the diagnosis, even the mechanics can make some mistakes. Here I am highlighting the common mistakes while diagnosing the DTC P0014,
- Occasionally the mechanics forget to check the engine oil level as well as the viscosity. This is one of the most common mistakes that professionals repeat unintentionally.
- Sometimes we forget to examine the timing components. The timing chain may be suffering from tooth damage, or the gear might be broken or worn out. We need to make sure that every timing component works effectively.
- We feel hesitant to follow the manufacturer’s specific pinpoint test or follow the vehicle’s manual. We must not skip this part as complete guidelines are being enlisted in this manual.
Recommended Tools for Diagnosis: Basic hand tools, Fused jumper wires, manufacturer-specific servicing manual, and a smart OBD-II scanning tool.
What is the Estimated Cost of Repair?
Eradication of the error code P0014 will need a healthy amount of money as it is one of the most harmful generic powertrain codes ever; the cost may vary due to several actual facts like the quality of the professional, the rates of the replaced car parts, change in the time and location and many more. Different repairing parts can cost you individually; here are the average repairing cost of the error code P0014,
The initial repair could be changing the engine oil. It can cost you about 40$ to 60$. The mechanic will charge you about $300-$400 to repair the Variable Valve Timing Control Solenoid. If you have a complete engine failure, you need to invest a huge sum of money which may vary between $3000-$4000 and inclusive.
The fault code P0014 causes extensive harm to the system of the vehicle. Some people were perplexed about solving this code. My suggestion is to keep your head cool and simply follow the guidelines. I hope this article helps you in a bigger way to do away with the horrible DTC P0014.
Kevin Nicholas is an automotive technician who is a genius at software and hardware-related issues. He manually tested more than a hundred OBD scanners and gave his honest opinion on whether the device was worth the money or not. His in-depth OBD review articles help people choose the right product, whether it is a European, American, or Asian vehicle. He completed his Automotive Specialized Training Course at Universal Technical Institute and has more than 15 years of experience in the field.
Summary of Contents