What Does the P0021 Code Mean?
The Powertrain generic code P0021 means “Camshaft Position A Timing Over-Advanced Bank 2.” This error code elaborates that the bank two intake camshaft is over advanced than the actual value and the cycle of rotation is higher than what the ECM has commanded the camshaft to do.
Popular brands facing the respective code:
P0021 Nissan, P0021 Subaru, Infiniti P0021, P0021 Ford f150, G35 P0021, etc.
What are the Possible Causes of the P0021 Code?
There are tons of causes behind the occurrence of the fault code P0021. Here I have handpicked some of the primary reasons for the error codes,
- The rotation of the camshaft is more advanced than the actual value, and the camshaft is facing an unnatural rotational force.
- The oil control valve in bank two may have faced a clogged pathway. The viscosity of the fuel may be less than the actual value. The oil may be much thicker than the standard one. This causes the formation of sludges in the fuel control valve.
- The camshaft phaser may be stuck in between the process. A failure may have occurred in the Camshaft variable valve timing control solenoid.
- A continuous oil flow to the Variable Camshaft Timing chamber may thwart the overall procedure in the engine. There may be some sort of mismanagement in the timing component area.
- The camshaft and crankshaft sensors may have defected and can not pass the necessary information regarding the rotational configuration.
What are the Common Symptoms of the P0021 Code?
Powertrain Symptoms are those implications that detect the particular problem area in the engine. The fault code P0021 generates some possible symptoms that are described below,
- There must be a loss in the fuel mileage. The fuel economy may have plummeted, and an increase in fuel consumption. The engine may face stalling, and it feels rough while accelerating too hard.
- The engine may be poorly contaminated due to the overdensity of the fuel, and the wrong viscosity is also responsible for forming the sludge in the oil control valve and in the actuator.
- The camshaft may fail due to insufficient lubrication, and this means the lack of lubrication hampers the rotational speed of the camshaft and crankshaft, causing a possible hemorrhage in the engine.
- A loud rattling noise may be produced from the main engine due to the frictional force that occurred inside the main engine.
- The exhaust pipe may emit unhealthy black and white smoke causing damage to the internal parts of the main engine.
- The internal wirings and the electrical circuits may suffer from a discontinuation or may be seized internally. The sensor may fail to recognize the particular signals produced from the camshaft. In the long run, the PCM fails to realize the actual meaning of the signal, and the entire process collapses suddenly.
How Severe Is Code P0021?
The error code P0021 can dramatically change the entire complexion of a vehicle. As the code advances, a stylish and beastly car can lose its initial appeal. If you want to realize the severity of the error code, then keep the vehicle unrepaired for a few days. As you have ignored the vehicle’s problems, soon the internal system starts to show its sign. After a few days, it starts to vibrate when you are driving the car. The engine may face a stalling, and it will consume more fuel than ever. It may shake badly as the emission of the fuel gets hampered. The car may emit black and white fumes.
After a few days, the internal chambers in the engine, just like the camshaft or maybe the timing belt, may have been shattered. In the long run, problems may gallop over the whole vehicle someday. So if you want to keep your car safe from any kind of future shock, then take the necessary measures to solve the error code as early as possible.
Tools Needed to Diagnose:
- Fused jumper wires
- manufacturer-specific service manual
- basic hand tools
- A vehicle-compatible innovative OBD-II scanning tool
How To Diagnose OBD Code P0021?
The diagnosis process is discussed below,
- Check with the OBD-II scanner
You need to have an OBD-II scanner that is compatible with the vehicle. After you attach the device to the car, it will show some error codes if there is any problem with the main engine. First, try to delete the code by taking a short test drive. If the error codes still exist, then move forward to the next diagnosis.
- Diagnose the sensor and wirings
There is a hierarchy of sensors and wirings in the camshaft and crankshaft, which carry rotational information to the PCM. If there is a fault in these connections, it may provide wrong data to the PCM.
- Diagnose the Oil control valve
The Oil control valve regulates oil passing in the main engine section. It also consists of a filter. Diagnose the whole chamber for finding any inconvenience.
- Diagnose the Timing chain
The timing chain regulates the rotation of the camshaft. It consists of a few components like the timing belt, idler, and gears. If the chain faces a distortion due to high temperature, then it may produce unusual shivering. As a result, the whole system gets destroyed.
What parts are to be Repaired?
If you want to get rid of the severe code P0021, concentrate on some parts and repair them without further delay. Those particular parts that needed to be repaired are,
Exhaust Camshaft solenoid valve
This solenoid type is responsible for maintaining both the exhaust and intake camshafts. This solenoid can reduce the overall emission of the gas, and it develops the performance and fuel economy of the engine. So if you notice any irregularities, then immediately take action.
Oil Control Valve
It is one of the most crucial parts of the engine as it harmonizes with the variable valve technology (VVT), which solely regulates the oil supply in the engine. This directly affects the camshaft angle position and the rotational gravity. So check for any kind of fault in this section.
Camshaft and the crankshaft
They combinedly may be called the giants of the engine. These two are the main reasons behind the management of the engine. They are connected with a timing chain, and they rotate simultaneously, and the impression makes even better synchronization in the engine.
How To Fix Trouble Code P0021?
Apply a multimeter to check the resistance of the solenoid. If the solenoid does not meet the standard value as depicted in the manufacturer’s manual, then the mechanic replaces the solenoid. Pin testing for the sensors and electrical wirings is one of the essential repairings. Replace the oil filter if it gathers rough debris and sludge. After checking the fuel’s viscosity, apply the compatible viscosity fuel in the engine and meet the engine oil level. Check and replace the oil control valve. And finally, update the PCM software and scrutinize if it works decently.
Codes Related to DTC P0021
Some codes are super compatible with the error code P0021. Some of the other codes are P0017, P0018, P0019, P0022, P0024, P0025, and the list goes on. These codes can be deleted by maintaining an individual repairing guide or the manufacturer’s service manual.
This article thoroughly discusses the possible solutions to the error code P0021. You can follow these guidelines to eradicate the codes on your own. If the problem intensifies more, taking the car to a certified auto garage may be wise. Do not neglect the error code, as it may create further discomfort for you.
Kevin Nicholas is an automotive technician who is a genius at software and hardware-related issues. He manually tested more than a hundred OBD scanners and gave his honest opinion on whether the device was worth the money or not. His in-depth OBD review articles help people choose the right product, whether it is a European, American, or Asian vehicle. He completed his Automotive Specialized Training Course at Universal Technical Institute and has more than 15 years of experience in the field.
Summary of Contents