What Does Code P0026 Mean?
Generally, the OBD2 generic powertrain codes are correlated with the main engine of the car. The error code P0026 is one of the significant powertrain codes that means the “Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Performance Bank 1.” This determines that the variable valve lift solenoid in the intake valves for bank 1 consumes more time in engaging. The VVT solenoid may be facing irregularities in getting the actual power, and eventually, the ECM sends this signal to the check engine light. The CEL starts to illuminate by notifying us that there might be an issue happening in the internal engine. Bank 1 determines the position where cylinder one is located.
What is the Variable Valve Timing System?
The VVT system is one of the significant systems that commands the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust valves. The valve actuator acts as a support system to the VVT. The main duty of the VVT is to improve the overall fuel consumption and develop engine performance. The VVT and the actuator work combinedly to change the actual position of the related camshaft.
The Variable Valve Lift System is also closely correlated with the VVT system. The VVL system mainly commands the valves to lift up at a maximum distance to enhance the engine performance. The PCM closely operates the whole lifting process and enables the camshaft to rotate at its maximum level. The PCM gives instruction to the oil control solenoid valve to necessitate the pressure of the oil to incapacitate the rotation of the entire camshaft position.
What are the Possible Causes of the P0026 Code?
The error code P0026 is an insane code with some particular causes. Here are some of the probable natural causes of the error code P0026,
- The electrical wirings and connectors might be facing internal injuries as they could suffer short circuits, bent, worn, shattered wirings. The sensors of the camshaft and the crankshaft may lack harmonization. They could misbehave in operating the necessary information.
- Defective actuators are one of the prime causes of the error code P0026. The loss of the ground contact may have potentially caused the error code to operate in the engine.
- The valves can not lift at a higher position which impedes the overall rotation of the camshaft and the crankshaft. The oil control valve may have some internal issues. The oil filter may be clogged due to excessive impurities in the fuel. The engine oil level may
- be lesser than the actual level.
What are the Common Symptoms of the P0026 Code?
There are lots of possible symptoms of the error code P0026. Some of the symptoms are enlisted below,
- The engine might experience a lack of power, and it may be stalling during starting. The limp mode may be activated as the engine performs. The engine may face a roughness during high acceleration.
- The intake camshafts may have stuck at the high valve lift position, causing an unusual camshaft rotation.
- There might be an increase in fuel consumption and eventually a deficiency in the fuel economy. The engine oil may be contaminated or have the wrong engine oil viscosity.
- The check engine light is on, and it also accelerates the illumination of the MIL. The PCM of the vehicle must be poorly hampered, or they need an update.
How to Diagnose the P0026 Code?
The electrical wirings and the connections in the bank one intake valve solenoid should be appropriately checked. Check the valves properly to find out the necessary fault and locate possible sludge in the oil filter. Examine to see if the right viscosity oil is used in the process. The valves’ lifting positions and the down positions should be checked carefully. And last of all, examine the rotating position of the camshaft and check the PCM if it is in super condition.
Common Mistakes When Diagnosing the P0026 Code
Some common errors that can happen during the diagnosis are discussed below so that in the future, you can avoid those mistakes,
- The mechanic might completely forget to check the engine oil level or the viscosity of the engine oil. The oil control valve and the filters might have remained unchecked.
- Sometimes we do not have particular essential tools to diagnose the error codes. The mechanics can even forget to perform the pinpoint test of the vehicle by following the manufacturer-specific service manual.
- The timing components may be unchecked due to some unnecessary causes. The internal damage can be unsolved in the camshaft chamber.
How to Troubleshoot the P0026 Code?
Let us elaborate on the troubleshooting of the error code in a well-organized group of stages,
Repair the oil control valve
Repair the oil control valve if it is shattered, and replace the oil filters if excessive sludge has destroyed the entire channel. Check the engine oil’s type, grade, and viscosity and make sure that they are on the optimum level. Contaminated fuel is responsible for the growth of gums and sludge, so apply the premium level fuel to avoid further inconvenience. Also, check the pressure of the fuel if it hits the right tick.
Fix the wirings and connectors
Check and fix the wirings and the connectors of the camshaft and the crankshaft. Check all the color-coding, location, and function of each wire in the connector. Check their resistance with the multimeter and see if they generate the correct value. You should also fix the issues regarding the sensors of the camshaft.
Repair the actuators
The actuators are responsible for operating and lifting the valves attached to the camshaft. If there is any loose connection, bent, corrosion, or dismantling in the actuators, repair them as soon as possible. The lifting and the downing of the valves mainly facilitate the camshaft chamber. So it is wise to replace defective actuators and install new ones.
Check the PCM and clear all the codes.
Generally, the PCM commands the valves and actuators to rotate the camshaft up and down. If the PCM fails to crack the information, then rotation could be hampered. Update the software of the PCM and try to delete all the registered codes from the OBD-II scanner.
Most of the professionals and the Auto repair garages may charge about 70$ to 150$ per hour to solve the error code P0026.
If you have addressed the fault code, it is your solemn duty to repair each faulty part to avoid any future shock. I hope you will try these guidelines to eradicate the fault code P0026, and if you fail to get rid of the problem, consult with a professional.
Kevin Nicholas is an automotive technician who is a genius at software and hardware-related issues. He manually tested more than a hundred OBD scanners and gave his honest opinion on whether the device was worth the money or not. His in-depth OBD review articles help people choose the right product, whether it is a European, American, or Asian vehicle. He completed his Automotive Specialized Training Course at Universal Technical Institute and has more than 15 years of experience in the field.
Summary of Contents
- 1 What are the Possible Causes of the P0026 Code?
- 2 What are the Common Symptoms of the P0026 Code?
- 3 How to Troubleshoot the P0026 Code?