Summary of Contents
- 1 What causes the P0028 code?
- 2 What are the symptoms of the P0028 code?
- 3 What repairs can fix the P0028 code?
What is the meaning of the DTC P0028 code?
Typically the powertrain codes denote the fault in the main engine, and the DTC P0028 denotes that “Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Performance Bank 2.” The elaborate meaning of the error code is that there might be a grievous error in the VVT solenoid, and as a result, the camshaft is giving a less or over performance than what the PCM has commanded.
Subaru P0028: The code P0028 is most common in the Subaru car brand. It illuminates the check engine light when the VVT solenoid fails to consume as usual power and hampers the rotation of the camshaft.
What causes the P0028 code?
There are various causes for the happening of the DTC P0028. Here I will depict the most common causes,
- The leading cause of this code is a failure in the VVL and VVT solenoid. The solenoid’s power consumption is interrupted, and it can not produce enough resources to operate the camshaft. The VVL actually manages the flow of fuel, which is fully dependent on the engine speed and load. A failure in both solenoids may hamper the overall performance of the main engine.
- A low level of fuel and contaminated wrong viscosity oil may hamper the vehicle’s overall performance. The wiring and connector issues will impede the rotation of the camshaft.
- A damaged VVT actuator causes the error code P0028. Sometimes the PCM is outdated and needs a software update immediately.
What are the symptoms of the P0028 code?
Symptoms are the most efficient ways to determine an error code. Unlike all the error codes, the DTC P0028 also has some distinctive symptoms. Those symptoms have been discussed here,
- The check engine light might illuminate at the very beginning. The PCM may detect something unusual and send the signal to the MIL. The engine might face rough idling while starting or may activate the limp mode. The limp mode is the vehicle’s security system that activates when the engine is In grim adversity.
- Engine misfiring may happen, and it may affect the engine’s speed and performance. The fuel consumption could soar up to the sky, and eventually, the economy of the fuel could plummet.
- Destruction may occur in the intake valve control solenoid resulting in mismanagement of the camshaft rotation. There could be ghostly rattling noises emerging from the engine. Unhealthy fuel combustion and emission may affect the car’s net worth; even the car might not pass the federal fuel emission test.
How will your Mechanics diagnose the P0028 code?
The first thing that the professional might diagnose is the engine oil’s level and proper viscosity. Then he will diagnose the oil control valve and the oil filters. The mechanics will check the next thing is the electrical wirings, circuits, and internal sensors. If they are all okay, then he will verify the timing components. After diagnosing these parts, the professional may update the software of the PCM if needed.
Common mistakes while diagnosing the P0028 code
Mistakes can occur at any time or at any place. While Diagnosing the error code P0028, a lot of errors may happen; in case you can avoid those mistakes, I am clearly enlisting those mistakes in a satisfactory manner,
While diagnosing the powertrain codes, you need to have some essential tools, including the test solenoid. If you don’t collect these necessary hand tools, your diagnosis could be incomplete. Sometimes the professionals even forget to check the engine oil level, which may create a complete mess. Neglecting on containing the timing components, the electrical wirings, short circuits, and the sensors can wreak bold havoc in the vehicle’s system.
How severe is the P0028 code?
The engine may face a long-time stalemate and roughness, which will affect the starting of the vehicle. The irrational rattling noise may come from the engine that can harm the car in the long run. The degradation of the mileage and performance of the engine will make the car shabby as time advances. Overall neglecting the error code P0028 might completely destroy the engine of the car.
What repairs can fix the P0028 code?
The repairing process of the error code P0028 passes through substantial procedures. For the benefit of the readers, the entire repairing process has been discussed in some steps.
Recheck the variable valve lift solenoid to see if it works properly. If it has a jam or may have a clogged passage in the solenoid, repair it. It is best to replace the solenoid. Injecting a brand new solenoid into the system may increase the power of the main engine.
Find the faults in the electrical circuits and wirings and fix them. Sometimes short circuits may affect the whole interconnection in the engine. Check and fix the faulty sensors of the camshaft and crankshaft.
Check and replace the defective parts of the timing components. If the timing chain has bent, distorted, shattered, or damaged, then fix the timing chain as early as possible. The tooth of the timing belt might be broken and hampers the smooth rotation. Replace these broken sections with new ones.
Update the PCM software and examine again if it can read the data correctly. In case there is any misreading in the OBD-II scanner, replace that device with an original one.
The repair cost of the error code P0028 is between $75 and $150 per hour. This cost may fluctuate regarding the labor quality, pricing of the faulty parts, and many more outstanding fees.
Some codes are bonded too closely with each other. Their causes, symptoms, and even repairing processes are almost the same. Some relative codes of P0028 are,
P0026 stands for the Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)
P0027 denotes that Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1)
P0029 means that Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 2)
These codes are interrelated to each other, and each of them denotes the fault condition in the VVT system, whether in cylinder 1 or cylinder 2.