What does the P0003 code mean?
The DTC fault code P0003 demonstrates that there may be some issue with the vehicle’s PCM (Powertrain Control Module). The actual explanation of the fault code P0003 is “Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Low.” The elaborate meaning of this code is that the fuel volume regulator’s voltage readings are pretty much lower than the actual standard value.
What are the Causes of the P0003 code?
There are several possible causes behind the occurrence of the fault code P0003. It is a generic code that shows up on the dashboard when common causes occur. The causes may be,
- The fuel volume regulator malfunctioned, or a possible error happened in the sensor connector.
- Collapsing the fuel volume regulator (FVR) solenoid
- There may be a problem in the harness, like a wiring short, corrosion, and damage
- The vehicle may face some issues regarding the PCM
- Plug disconnection may simply cause harm to the fuel regulator
- Leakage and seeping in the fuel pressure regulator
Common Symptoms of the Trouble Code P0003
There are some common symptoms of Trouble Code P0003. You can identify this code by facing those symptoms. I will describe the symptoms below,
- The check engine remains on, and the MIL starts to blink
- The Limp Mode may be activated, which means the security feature of the car may be activated, and the car may be slowed down. This happens when the automated security algorithm of the car faces engine or transmission control unit problems.
- The activated stalling mode denotes that the car suddenly turns off automatically.
- The fuel economy and engine performance may get declined
- It may harm the catalytic converter in your exhaust and may emit black and white fumes.
Diagnosis Strategy of DTC P0003 Fault Code
Diagnosing the DTC fault code P0003 is sometimes tricky. The diagnosis starts with scanning the car with an OBD-II advanced scanning machine that should contain the factory reset modules. Inspect all the wires, connections, and protocol visually. Then the mechanic will diagnose the data up to the next level. There are several tools needed to examine the car’s health check, like the advanced scanning tool to detect the PCM data values, a digital voltage meter with attachments, and a fuel pressure tester. All these tools work combinedly to measure the fault in the vehicle.
What measures are needed to fix the P0003 code?
Fixing the error code is a tiresome and expensive chore. You need to seek help from a professional who is experienced in the vehicle’s mechanisms. The most common procedure that the expert may follow is described below,
- At first, they will attach the OBD-II scanning tool at the connection point of the vehicle. Then wait for some time to figure out if there is an error code showing on the screen of the scanning machine.
- There may be more than one code simultaneously displayed on the screen. Set the priority and address the most dangerous error codes individually or simultaneously. Then analyze the scan tool data from the ECM.
- Take a test drive of the car and examine if the code returns back. If it still blinks, then there may be some disguise issues present in the vehicle.
- Check the other vehicle components, such as wiring, voltage, fuel pressure, and other variable issues. After solving all the incurring issues, you need to test the vehicle again. If all the issues got cracked, then that is all; you are successful in fixing the error code.
Repairing Cost of the P0003 code
The Cost to diagnose the P0003 code is quite expensive. Most auto repair shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour to solve the P0003 error code. The Cost may depend on the location, expertise of the mechanics, extra material input charge, and so on.
That was an overall guideline to fix the error code. This is considered a harmful and detrimental error in the vehicle. If you do not give proper attention to the problem and keep driving the car, neglecting the issues, there is a chance of injecting more serious damage to the vehicle. I hope you can benefit from this article and follow the guidelines given.
More Trouble Code Fixes:
Meet our professional car mechanic, Russell D. Steele, who has been in this field for five consecutive years and works with several automotive companies. He completed the "AUTOMOTIVE & LIGHT DUTY DIESEL TECHNOLOGY" course from NorthWest Lowa Community College, where he learned essential diagnostic and transportation management skills and became a certified mechanic.
Summary of Contents