On-board diagnostic or OBD2 scanner is the central part of every car. This scanner is mainly used to find any problem in your vehicle. The problem you can find with the scanner is mainly to show you a code. And every code has its meaning. So this U0184 code also has some communication problems. When the car faces communication problems with Radio, you notice the code on the car screen.
Summary of Contents
The code U0184 is a generic communication code. This code uses diagnostics, the trouble that applies most OBD2 principles with different vehicle makes and models. The code is the meaning of the communication problem with Radio and other control modules. These modules are also unable to communicate with each other. And there is also a controller area network or CAN bus related to this problem because all modules pass information with this CAN bus system. So when the CAN bus system faces any problem with the communication of Radio, you notice the U0184 code on the car screen.
Location of Radio:
To solve the trouble code U0184, you must know where the Radio is located in your car. Mainly this Radio is primarily found behind the dash. Usually, it is situated at the center of the vehicle. This dash mainly receives the input information from different sensors, and it also corrects data from many hardwired directly. Sometimes this control module is also used to send information like it sent data over the CAN bus communication system. The malfunction steps depend on the manufacturer, communication type, wires number, and colors.
The severity of this code is never severe, so this is a customer’s usual device. Sometimes, the vehicle operation is not affected by the less operation process of the Radio. There is also some other symptom you find, like:
- There is no information/no data/no sound/nothing on the screen from the Radio,
- Inoperative or absence of Power in the Radio.
There are also many reasons behind the trouble code U0184. The cause is:
- Open CAN bus circuit,
- Short to Power or short to ground in the CAN circuit.
- In the radio module, the absence of Power and ground in the CAN bus,
- There is a fault in the control module, but it’s not a typical case.
Diagnosis and Repair Process of the U0184 Code:
There are many steps to solve the problem of this trouble code U0184.like:
- The first and easy step to finding the problem is looking at the Technical Service Bulletins or TSBs. This is a manual book for every car. You find everything, like the reason for the problem or how to solve this, etc., in these TSBs. Many people also face this type of problem, and these features contain solutions with the details of the trouble. The TSBs not only save your time but also save some money.
- Then check the diagnostic fault code. These codes are mainly related to battery/ignition-related problems. So you need to check this first. If you misdiagnose the problem, it will cost o more money with extra time.
- It would help if you had a scan tool to find the problem from the scanner, and this code quickly finds out with this. And then, try to access the Radio, and when you get there, you can go through the memory code and find the problem is solved or still there.
- Sometimes the problem is related to the fuses that power up the radio module. So you also need to check the fuse supply of your vehicle’s Radio. Then locate the ground then check if there are any loose or damaged wires there. If you find out the problem, try to repair this by clearing the wire; otherwise, replace this. You need a wire bristle brush and baking soda or water to clean the wire, then clean the wire and connector or where it connects. Then leave it to dry and check all the wire connections.
After doing any repair, clear the code U0184 from memory and restart the system. If the code pops up again, the problem is connected with Radio. If you don’t find the problem, then it’s restored itself.
- It’s time to check all the connectors and the terminals of the control module of the Radio. After that, pull the connector very carefully and visually inspect the connectors and the terminals. If you find the burnt or green tint compression, then clean the terminals. Use any electrical contact cleaner and also a plastic brush. And after that, dry the place and apply the electrical grease where the corrosion took place.
- Now before connecting all terminals and connectors, make some voltage check. You need a digital volt ohmmeter or DVOM. Then locate the Radio power and ground. The wiring diagram accesses and finds where the main Power and ground are situated in the Radio control module. Now Reconnect the module with the battery and attach the red wire with a voltmeter to the power source’s battery+(battery voltage). Then the black wire with the voltmeter to the ground. And then you can get the reading as a good reason. After that, connect the red wire from the voltmeter with the battery positive and black wire with each ground. Then again, you can see the battery voltage every time you plug the voltmeter into it. But before proceeding, check the wiring diagram and check both communication circuits in the Radio. Carry out the result you check related to your vehicle.
- After that, you need to check two communication circuits. Then find CAN C+ and CAN C- of the circuit. Then connect all the black voltmeter wire with the ground and connect CAN C+ with red wire. When you notice the engine’s key, you get 2.6 volts with slight fluctuations. Then vice versa the connection, connecting the CAN C- with red wire then finding the output. You can get 2.4 volts with sight fluctuations.
- Next, check the CAN B+ and CAN B- like before. Then you find 0.5 volts with slight fluctuation in the CAN B+. after that, and you also get 4.4 volts and small fluctuations in the side of the CAN B-.
After you do all the steps, clear the memory from the system. Then rerun the program. If you don’t find the code, you solve the problem yourself. But if the trouble code pops up on the car screen again, you need an automotive technician’s help—a professional needs around one hour to fix the issue. And you set the problem at the budget of 75$ to 100 $. So don’t waste your time if you are unsuccessful.