Summary of Contents
- 1 What causes the P0020 code?
- 2 How to Fix the DTC P0020 Error Code?
What does the P0020 code mean?
The Error code P0020 is a generic powertrain code that signifies fault in the “Camshaft Position A Actuator Circuit Bank 2.” The error code P0020 means that it may have some fault in the bank 2 intake camshaft oil control valve experiencing a short circuit and letting the system down for the initiation. The simple meaning of the error code is that the voltage in the circuit has degraded badly for the programmed limit for a specific time. Bank two practically refers to the engine’s side that seemingly does not consist of cylinder number 1.
What causes the P0020 code?
There are various causes of the error code P0020; I will describe them below,
- There may be a fault in the VVT control solenoid valve. Most of the time, the solenoid faces inconvenience in having a proper supply of power, and it deteriorates over time.
- Sludge present in the oil may lead to a difficult situation in pumping the fuel. The irresistible force of sludge makes the entire procedure in the engine more complicated.
- Malfunction may occur in the Crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. If the sensor does not work properly, all the credentials in the camshaft may fail to operate.
- Grim damage to the internal wirings, connectors, and circuits leads to a more unconventional situation. The timing parameters may also have deteriorated and failed to operate the camshaft’s rotational force and the crankshaft.
- The PCM may face severe damage, and the software the PCM may be outdated. You need to re-update the software manual of the PCM to command the overall system greatly.
What are the Possible symptoms of the P0020 code?
There are lots of horrible symptoms of the error code that have enlisted below,
- The check engine light may illuminate, and the MIL may also start to indicate the error code. The fuel economy may be decreased badly, and fuel consumption may increase dramatically.
- The engine might give a rough feel when it is accelerated or being started. The engine may exaggerate the rattling sound during driving.
- The car may face idle mode or a stalemate. Stalling while changing the gear is another common symptom of the error code P0020.
How does a Professional diagnose the P0020 code?
If the diagnosis procedure does not go well, the repair may have blemished. Diagnosing the error code P0020 may be very annoying, but if you want a decent result.
First, implant the OBD-II scanning tool in the car and check for the error codes. There is a probability of occurring more than one error code being incorporated simultaneously. Gradually perform the solutions to eliminate the error codes. Check the wiring connections throughout the engine and inspect the camshaft and the crankshaft sensors. Check the resistance of the solenoid with an ohmmeter and decide if it needs any repairing. Diagnose the oil control valve and repair it. You need to change the oil filter for better performance. Check the VVT if it operates effectively. It may be off during a stalemate, and it is on during a high acceleration at higher engine RPM.
Avoid Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0020 code
Mistakes may happen during the diagnosis of the error code P0020. The common errors that may occur are being described below,
- Most of the time, the mechanic skips the main visual inspection of the parts and directly changes the positions intentionally or unintentionally. Visual inspection is pretty much significant in diagnosing the error codes.
- Most of the time, the professional forgets to check the engine oil if it is at its actual level; sometimes, sludge may be produced in the engine oil. These sludges must be treated to avoid any further difficulties.
- Lack of awareness inflowing the manufacturer’s specific service manual resulted in a misjudgment of the error codes and giving wrong treatment to the vehicle.
- Negligence in checking the powertrain control module. Sometimes it is deviated from maintaining the proper balance between the systems.
How serious is the P0020 code?
The generic powertrain code P0020 May feel a scanty fault to encounter, but negligence in repairing the code may outburst the problem more than ever. This OBD error code may damage the rotation of the camshaft and the crankshaft resulting in an awkward situation in the main engine. Although the engine fuel consumption may worsen than ever, The exhaust pipe may incur black and white fumes that are not good for the engine. The engine may build up some unnecessary rattling noise that is really confusing and hard to maintain. The valves and the piston rings may collect unwanted carbon, which is not good for the ambiance of the engine.
How to Fix the DTC P0020 Error Code?
While turning the engine off, examine the electrical connectors to see if there is any leakage, corrosion, or damage; replace the connectors if needed. Check the continuity in the oil flow control valve; if the continuity breaks, then it must need repairing. Examine the resistance of the oil flow control valve solenoid. If the resistance surpasses the actual value, then replace the solenoid as soon as possible. If the ECM fails to command the whole system, then fix it immediately. The timing chain may suffer missing teeth, and the belt might be worn out, discontinued, broken, or bent to repair those issues. The timing tensioner pulley and the crankshaft pulley maintain the propulsion, torque, and hydraulic pressure. Solve the issues of the timing components.
After performing all the treatments, the last thing you fix is the PCM of the vehicle’s system. Auto commanding and governing are the primary duties of the PCM; if it fails to do so, then it probably needs fixing. Check for the OBD-II scanning tool, and sometimes there must be some faults in this tool. Repair it and again take the proof. Ig, this time, no code is visible on the screen, and then all the error codes must be eliminated.
The repairing cost may vary from time to time and place to place. It depends on the quality of the mechanic, the car parts rate, and the availability of the materials.
- The cost of replacing the timing chain or the timing belt may cost around $300 to $3000,
- Replacing the CMP actuator solenoid might cost about 200$ to $3000.
- If you have an issue with the timing chain or belt tensioner, then the replacement will cost around $250 to $3,000.
- The replacement of the crankshaft and camshaft tone ring will need $100 to $600 depending upon the quality of the product.
- You need to spend between $150 to $450 to repair the crankshaft and camshaft sensor.
- The mechanic will charge you between $100 to $500 to repair the wiring and the connectors.
Finally, fixing the error code P0020 can be proven a lavish expense. So repair the faults as soon as you notice the codes in the OBD-II scanning tool. In this writing, I tried to cover all necessary aspects of the DTC P0020. Some people neglect the problem and carry on driving through the MIL has been blinking for a long time. This is to become a risky gamble to ignore the error code. If you follow the above guidelines, it is sure to eliminate the fault codes. So share the guidelines with others if you feel they benefited from this article.