The moment you observe a warming light on your dashboard, this can be a sign of an issue with the engine or the emissions control system. The check engine light is the major indicator of a current or pending issue in the power-train. Never take this light to be a joke as it might mean more problems for your car if the issue is not handled quickly. The light can be reset after the issue is solved. Usually, there are two ways to reset the check engine light. This is by using a car scan tool or disconnecting your vehicle’s battery.
How to reset check engine light using a code reader
- Start by connecting the code reader to the on board diagnostic connector below your steering wheel. Turn your ignition switch on and the turn off all accessories.
- Press the read button o your scanner to check the engine’s error codes. Note down all the code (s) as they were recorded to use them for later repair or for future reference.
- Press the erase button on your scan tool to get rid of the error code. Getting rid of any codes present will turn off the check engine light.
- Remove diagnostic scanner and test drive the vehicle. If the check engine light still returns, then your car has another problem that needs to be solved.
- Thus, it’s advisable to repair the issue that the error codes present you before resetting the check engine light.
- When the check engine light returns after days or weeks, then this issue might be serious and a replacement of the part or proper repair should be conducted by a professional mechanic.
How to reset check engine light by disconnecting the vehicle’s battery
- Disconnect your vehicle’s battery by getting rid of the positive and negative cables. Apply a wrench to remove the cables if possible.
- Press and hold the horn for 30 seconds to drain any remaining electricity from the capacitor.
- Wait for 15 minutes and then reconnect your battery. The codes should be erased which will lead your engine light to turn off. This procedure doesn’t function on all car computers. In case the battery is disconnected and the light comes back, this may turn out to be a sign of a very serious issue that needs to be fixed right away.
It is evident that using a code reader rather than disconnecting the battery is the more effective method to use for resetting the check engine light.
The check engine light can mean several problems with your vehicle’s system and the issue should be tackled immediately before resetting the engine light. Failure to handle the issue might mean more problems that may lead the car to be in a very bad state and perform poorly. You can use either a diagnostic scanner like Autel Autolink al319 or by disconnecting the battery to reset the check engine light. Hopefully, you’ve found this article to be of great importance when it comes to how to reset the check engine light.