The engine is the heart of the car. It needs proper maintenance and regular cleaning for it to continue functioning similar to a new one. Before you wash your car, start by cleaning your engine and engine bay. This will allow you to wash and rinse off any form of degreaser that may reach painted parts. Also, cleaning the engine regularly will prevent rust from developing on it. Some of the biggest dangers that make the car engine to rust are salt and road grime. Hence, rinsing the engine bay will help to prolong the life of your car’s engine.
Summary of Contents
- 1 How to clean engine of car?
- 1.1 Get rid of any dirt stuck in the engine bay
- 1.2 Disconnect the battery
- 1.3 Cover exposed wiring or electronics
- 1.4 Allow the engine to run for 5 minutes
- 1.5 Degrease the engine
- 1.6 Avoid getting any degreaser on painted parts
- 1.7 Enable the degreaser to soak in for 3 to 5 minutes
- 1.8 Apply a stiff bristled brush to scrub stuck on grime
- 1.9 Rinse the engine with a normal hose
- 1.10 Wash the car
- 1.11 Apply a wire brush on battery terminals
- 1.12 Utilize baking soda and water to battery acid
- 1.13 Apply a stiff bristled brush and a sponge on plastic parts
- 1.14 Apply a brake cleaner to spot clean grime deposits
- 2 How to Clean Engine Bay?
How to clean engine of car?
Follow the steps that we are going to discuss blow for effectively engine cleaning. This will avoid any engine spurts or cough for smooth and fun driving. You should also clean your fuel injectors, Intake Manifold and throttle body too. However, this 14 easy step will explain how to clean engine of a car.
Get rid of any dirt stuck in the engine bay
As you prepare to start cleaning your engine, remove any grass, twigs, leaves or even any other form f debris from the engine bay. The debris can be a problem and even lead to fires if left in the engine or in the electrical system for a long period. If you want to clean only engine bay(text part) then check this section.
Disconnect the battery
Applying water directly into your engine bay could lead to a number of dangers. Thus, you should loosen the bolt on the negative terminal on the battery and sliding the ground cable off of the terminal. And also, you should maintain your car battery to extend life cycle of the battery.
Cover exposed wiring or electronics
Even though engine is waterproof, wrapping plastic around some electrical parts can provide you a great level of safety. What you need to cover are the loose wires, spark plug inlet and the distributor cap, that is if your vehicle has one.
Allow the engine to run for 5 minutes
The grease that is applied on the engine can be simple to remove when it is heated. Start the car and enable it run for around five minutes. This will enable the engine to get to normal operating temperature and loosen any stuck on grime.
Degrease the engine
Acquire an engine degreaser of your choice so that you can utilize it to degrease the engine. Begin by spraying the degreaser from the bottom to the top. This will ensure that you cover the entire engine.
Avoid getting any degreaser on painted parts
The engine greaser can remove clear coat from paint, so it is crucial to be very careful not to overspray while covering the engine. In case you find any degreaser on the fenders or other painted parts, rinse it off very first to prevent damaging the paint.
Enable the degreaser to soak in for 3 to 5 minutes
The engine degreaser functions by removing the grime that is stuck on the engine. Engines that are not very dirty, 3 minutes are enough to loosen up the stuck grease. But when you have an extremely dirty engine, 5 minutes is okay before you rinse.
Apply a stiff bristled brush to scrub stuck on grime
While the degreaser is still soaking on the engine, apply a stiff bristled or steel toothed brush to scrub away at any huge deposits of grease, burned oil or grime. It should be break loose very easily with the degreaser already applied.
Rinse the engine with a normal hose
Avoid utilizing a high pressure hose to rinse the engine, as this may disconnect the wires or penetrate the plastic you used to cover electronics. A normal garden hose with the nozzle set to stream will rinse the engine very well and get rid most of the grime.
Wash the car
After rinsing the engine off, you should start washing your vehicle instantly. This will allow you to clean any engine degreaser off of painted parts before it has the chance to do any significant harm.
Apply a wire brush on battery terminals
Since battery terminals usually corrode, this can cause electrical problems to your car. Remove the cables on the battery and apply a wire brush to scrub terminals until they are clean.
Utilize baking soda and water to battery acid
If a leaking battery acid has caused corrosion to the battery, neutralize it by utilizing a mixture of water and baking soda. Place a portion of baking soda into a bucket of water and mix it very well. Then dip the brush in the mixture of and apply it to scrub the battery terminals and any other sections that the acid may have leaked.
Apply a stiff bristled brush and a sponge on plastic parts
Some areas of your engine may be very challenging to clean like the engine covers and reservoir parts. Begin by utilizing a stiff toothed, plastic bristled brush along with car wash soap or a degreaser. After getting rid of the hard to remove grime, apply a sponge with car wash soap to get the last of the grime off before rinsing the parts with water.
Apply a brake cleaner to spot clean grime deposits
A brake cleaner break up grime and evaporates very fast. Place a straw into the nozzle of the brake cleaner and direct it at hard to clean areas where the grime is specifically clean thick. Utilize a hard toothed brush to scrub the grime away, then spray it again with brake cleaner to rinse it.
You have Done!
It is not hard if you know those “how to clean engine” steps. Ensure you clean your engine and engine bay regularly by following the steps that we’ve discussed above. This will prolong the life of your engine and you will as well enjoy driving your car.
Your engine cleaning process have been finished.
Below step only for those visitors, who are looking to clean engine bay separately(Although, almost same procedure).
How to Clean Engine Bay?
Today, there are thousands of articles and videos on how to clean your car. But this isn’t the only section of the car that needs to be cleaned. The engine bay is another important part that needs detailing once in a while. It is believed that a clean engine bay helps the car to cool off well as there is no dirt getting into the filters or water wearing out some parts like the bearings. I know many people are damn afraid of damaging some engine parts during cleaning of the engine bay. There shouldn’t be anything to tense about if you follow our guide on how to perfectly clean your engine bay.
Follow the steps below to effectively clean your engine bay:
- Before you begin cleaning the engine, you should ensure that it has cooled off. So, the best time to clean the engine bay is in the morning. When the engine is hot and you apply cold water on it, you may be running a risk of damaging it. Also, prepare the tools that you will need to use for cleaning the engine bay. These include: car wash soap, microfiber towel, car wash mitt, bucket, plastic & metal cleaner, plastic bags, engine degreaser and water hose.
- Go ahead and disconnect the negative battery terminal or cover the battery with a plastic bag. Since water conducts electricity, you should avoid it to link and make new temporary circuits. Cover parts like the distributor, alternator and carburetor by use of plastic bags so that water doesn’t get on them. When you start your engine, don’t forget to remove the bags after detailing the engine bay.
- When degreasing, start with the perimeter of the engine bay. You can also apply the degreaser on painted surfaces but you should know that the wax will be removed. The fluid containers and hoses should be degreased as well. This is because these areas get extremely dirt and need to be degreased. Also, ensure that you select a quality degreaser to do the job. Get the degreaser off with a slow stream of water. Use a water hose and the degreaser will assist in getting the dirt off. Any dirt left behind can be removed with the help of a cloth by being wiped off.
- When you’re one rinsing your car, the other parts can engine parts can now be cleaned using hand. Take the car wash mitt and apply it in hard to reach areas like crevices. Never use a steel or scratch plastic brush to clean the engine bay as it might damage parts. But a soft bristled brush or car wash mitt can get the job to be well done. Remove the grime, debris and dirt from all the engine parts.
- After thoroughly cleaning away all the dirt and grime from the engine, you be required to dry it before waxing. You can use a dry microfiber towel to dry the engine bay. But the towel can’t access some parts and you can decide to apply a blower to rinse the engine parts perfectly well. Applying a can of compressed air will remove water from all the parts.
- Make your engine shine again by applying wax on it or protectant. Wax the engine slowly without missing on some parts. But when it comes to hoses and plastics, these should be shined by the use of a rubber or vinyl protectant. Apply the protectant on hoses and plastics so that they can be protected from heat and stains from grease and dirt, respectively.
When you regularly detail your car engine bay, let’s say after every 6 months, it will continue looking new and perform at a high level. Just follow our steps above and you will appreciate us.