Tired of using conventional oil for lubrication? Then, you’re at the right place to find the best synthetic engine oil. If you normally drive several miles, you definitely understand that it’s worth using synthetic oil which can be utilized for more than 7, 000 miles before needing an oil change unlike conventional oils that need change after approximately 3, 000 miles. Synthetic oils have a lot of benefits apart from covering a long distance which makes them to be highly preferred among motorists. So, What is the best synthetic oil on the market of 2019?
Summary of Contents
- 1 Benefits of synthetic oil
- 2 Factors to consider when buying synthetic motor oil
- 3 5 Best synthetic oil reviews 2019
Don’t be swayed easily by the adverts as what appears as the best isn’t always the best. With our expert guide and review, you will be able to come up with synthetic motor oil that meets your car needs at a very competitive price. Read on to know which one to look for, what you stand to gain from synthetic oils and know some of the best synthetic car oils on the market that you can select for better performance.
Benefits of synthetic oil
Synthetic motor oils offer a wide range of benefits to your car when used. These benefits are what distance then from conventional oils thus making them to be a great choice for motorists and mechanics around the world. These are as follows:
- Synthetic motor oils are naturally very high viscosity index. A high viscosity index offers you a more stable viscosity in the different temperature ranges. Apart from performing excellent in low temperatures, the oils resist thinning at higher temperatures leading to greater protection across higher operating temperature range.
- These oils have great wear protection. The latest car models must handle increased shock loads and the highest torque. Synthetic engine oils offer greater anti-scoring performance, thus increasing gear life under shock loading and high speeds scenarios. They offer outstanding wear protection.
- Great low temperature performance. Pour point measures the power to flow at low temperatures. Synthetic oils are created to lower internal friction. This leads to excellent flow aspects even at low temperatures. As a matter of fact, your internal parts are protected from wear and tear that usually takes place during a cold start.
- Since these oils are pure and custom made, they offer low traction force, this means less friction thus lowering fuel consumption or raising your horsepower.
- Instead of having several hydrocarbons, synthetic engine oils are just pure. Thus, their volatility level is low when compared to mineral oils. As a result, this will reduce oil use and emissions in the air.
- Also, these oils have a great thermal stability. As the temperatures keep rising in your engine, the oil remains the same.
- Since synthetic vehicle oils have no impurities, they have a great oxidative stability which means fewer deposits as the oil doesn’t break down.
Factors to consider when buying synthetic motor oil
If it’s your first time choosing synthetic motor oil, there are few things you need to know about them before you pick wrong or less effective oil. With our years of experience, we’ve created a list of some of the most important factors that you need to be well versed with before choosing. These have been discussed as follows:
- Type of synthetic oil
Usually, there are two types of synthetic oils. The first type is the synthetic blend oil and the second one is the full synthetic motor oil. Synthetic blend oil is a mixture of synthetic oil and conventional oil. On the contrary, full synthetic oil is where a synthetic base stock is utilized and is not mixed with any additive.
- Fuel economy
Highly effective synthetic vehicle oil lowers friction in the internal pathways of your vehicle to increase fuel economy. By reducing friction, the engine will have little work to circulate the oil. High quality synthetic car oil will lead to huge improvements in fuel economy in modern engines.
This is one of the major aspects of any engine oil. Viscosity means how fast the oil flows. Ensure that you select an engine with a thin viscosity so that it can be able to spread evenly all over the engine surface and flow through oil lines at low temperatures, but at the same time it should be thick enough so that it can lubricate and protect the engine of your car.
- Special additives
Another crucial factor to consider when picking the best synthetic oil for your car is the special additive it has. A good number of today’s oils come with special additives or oils blends with useful additives that assist in preventing sludge build-up, deposits and oil leaks inside the engine of your vehicle.
- Frictional and lubrication aspects
Acquiring quality synthetic oil will lubricate and lower friction of the internal components of your car engine. The modern blend of synthetic engine oil is created to offer long lasting lubrication and drastically reduce friction to important moving parts of the vehicle engine.
- Needs of your vehicle
This is another important feature to look at before acquiring synthetic engine oil of your choice. Check the needs of your car engine so that you can select the most effective oil for it. Different types of car engines need different types of synthetic oils. So, ensure that the oil you’re buying for your car engine is compatible so that you don’t make a mess.
Price is another vital factor to consider. In most cases, people usually prefer cheaper things as they are afraid to spend. Believe me, you are better off with a quality and costly synthetic engine oil rather than going for a cheap one. This is because they perform better and are long lasting too. So, if you want your car to function excellently, go for nothing less than the best.
Who makes the best synthetic motor oil? There are various brands offering synthetic oils on the market. Be wary of brands that pose as quality ones but in the end deliver junk. Ensure you select synthetic oil from a notable brand with a good reputation. Some of the notable brands to choose from include: Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, Valvoline and Shell.
Knowing what previous users of different types of synthetic oil have been through with them is important and can help you come up with the best choice. You will get to know the pros and cons of every brand and which receive some suggestions too. Read all product reviews as possible to make a great choice.
5 Best synthetic oil reviews 2019
Which synthetic oil is best? Has the synthetic motor oil that you have been using up to the task or not? Or are you tired of changing conventional oils after some few miles and want the best synthetic oil? We are here to help you. After years of using some of the best oils, we managed to create a list of the best synthetic car oils on the market. These aren’t just approved by us but as well from different reviews online and even from friends and mechanics. Stop itching your head as we have made things easier for you by coming up with the top five list below.
Mobil 1 94001 5W-30 Synthetic motor oil(Our top pick)
The Mobil 1 is one of the leading brands in synthetic engine oils. This oil can be applied on all types of cars such as the supercharged, turbocharged and direct fuel injected cars. It has a viscosity of 5W-30 which is just amazing as it offers all season protection. It has a proprietary SuperSyn anti-wear technology that offers performance better than conventional motor oils. In addition this best synthetic motor oil maintains excellent engine cleanliness and the performance reserve to keep the engines in newer cars running smooth and very clean. Use this oil today in your car for outstanding protection from engine wear, under normal or even in extreme weather conditions. Mobil 1 still delivers.
- Proprietary SuperSyn anti-wear technology
- 5W-30 viscosity
- Used on all types of cars
- Pack of 6
- Meets requirements for diesel powered vehicles
- Full synthetic engine oil
- It has a quick cold weather starting for ultra fast protection
- It assists to prevent deposits and sludge creation for long engine life
- Great performance during the maximum oil change interval suggested in car’s owners manual
- Has improved frictional aspects
- Perfect low temperature capabilities
- Provides great wear protection
Royal Purple 51530 API-Licensed SAE 5W-30 Synthetic motor oil
Royal purple is another quality brand with outstanding features. This oil is API licensed and has a SAE of 5W-30. This means that it has a viscosity of 5 in cold conditions and 30 during normal conditions. It is made up of a combination of premium base oils together with proprietary additives technology to form high performance engine oil.
In addition, it is completely compatible with mineral oil and any other synthetic oil. This oil can be used in both gasoline and diesel engines without any issue. When switching to this best synthetic oil, there are no procedures needed. The oil functions by increasing fuel efficiency, offer better corrosion protection, offer improved compatibility with fuels that have ethanol and provide better protection of the costly catalytic emission system.
- SAE 5W-30
- API licensed
- Proprietary additives technology
- Used in either gasoline or diesel engines
- It is compatible with mineral or any other form of synthetic oil
- It has improved compatibility with fuels containing ethanol
- Royal Purple 51530 has better wear protection
- It has superior corrosion protection
- It brings about increased fuel efficiency
- This offers greater protection of the expensive catalytic emission system
- The API licensed oil improves performance of the engine
Castrol 06249 edge 5W-40 full synthetic motor oil
Castrol edge is an excellent synthetic oil brand with great properties that enable it clear deposits from your car. This SAE 5W-40 approved oil comes in a pack of 6. The full synthetic engine oil has a syntec power technology that contains a unique and proprietary formula which reduces volatility and at the same time offers great protection for important engine components. This oil offers better engine protection than conventional and synthetic blend oils. It has a 42 percent better rating on battling power and robbing deposits. Use it to provide great protection to your engine and change after covering several miles.
- Full synthetic engine oil
- Pack of 6
- SAE 5W-40
- Syntec power technology
- Proprietary formula
- It is from a notable brand with a great reputation
- It offers superior engine protection
- Offers greater performance from deposits, wear and oxidation
- It is highly rated with 42% better rating on battling power robbing deposits
- It exceeds various standards such as API, ACEA A3, SL, ACEA B3, etc…
- Castrol 06249 can be used on different car types such as BMW, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Porsche and many others.
Valvoline 5W-40 SynPower full synthetic motor oil
Valvoline is made up of synpower technology that assists to remove deposits from the engine for better performance. It has a viscosity of 5W-40. In addition, it has more durable anti-wear additives that stay in the oil longer to prevent wear. The full synthetic motor oil has three major roles which include getting of deposits and wear. You can sue it on your turbocharged or supercharged vehicle without causing any issues. Use this synthetic engine oil to maintain fuel efficiency.
- Full synthetic oil
- SAE 5W-40
- Syn power technology
- Suitable for turbocharged and supercharged vehicles
- Durable anti-wear additives
- 5 quartz
- It offers great high temperature protection under severe driving conditions and outstanding cold temperature protection through quicker oil flow at start.
- It meets the performance demands of virtually all naturally aspirated, turbocharged and supercharged vehicles operating in North America.
- Offers outstanding engine cleanliness through superior sludge and varnish protection
- It assist to maintain fuel efficiency
- Valvoline 5W-40 protects the engine from wear and deposits for better performance
- It has a durable anti-wear additive that remains in the engine for long to prevent it from wearing down.
Pennzoil 550040856 Ultra platinum 0W-40 full synthetic motor oil
This is among the highly regarded synthetic motor oil brands. It has a viscosity of 0W-40. This best full synthetic oil comes with a PurePlus technology mixed with high performance additives to enable your vehicle run at its best. Also, it has lower viscosity at low temperatures, so that the engine needs little effort to pump the oils at temperatures. If you are looking for the best synthetic oil for car then no doubt that this is top one. You can drive on average an additional 550 miles every year when you use this quality synthetic motor oil. Also, it has the power offer quicker low temperature oil flow and at the same time protect in extreme heat.
Check Amazon To View Current Pricing & Availability
- SAE 0W-40
- Full synthetic car oil
- PurePlus technology
- Allows driving of an extra 550 miles
- It assist to protect the engine from loss of power
- It provides better viscosity even under severe oxidative test conditions compared with using other API group II and III base oils.
- Pennzoil 550040856 offers quicker low temperature oil flow and protects in excessive heat
- It has excellent components that offer complete protection without any compromise
- It provides better fuel economy with an average of extra 550 miles
From the above detailed information, it is true that synthetic oils are just not ordinary oils as they perform better than conventional oils. With the range of benefits that they provide to users and their excellent properties, there is no doubt that synthetic oil is the best for your car. All you have to do is to ensure that you pick the best synthetic oil from a notable brand so that you can fully utilize it. Check out the aspects the synthetic motor oil you are picking has so that you can make the best choice. Hopefully, you’ve found this guide and review to be very helpful and impacted on how you will choose your next synthetic car oil.